Tecra M7 Review (part 1)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by jritter, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superart

superart Pen Pal - Newbie

I would verry much like to have a tablet for when the spring term starts, as long as the current model can do what I need it to do. If push comes to shove, I could always sell off the model I buy now in a couple months. Is there a market for used tablets? How much would it depreciate?

I'm not much concerned about battery life. I am usually near an outlet, so i would be happy with 4 hours. From what I'm reading, with the second sliver battery the computer gets about 6 hours, so that would be just fine for me.

2. jreagles16

jreagles16 Newbie in Training

IMHO the vaule of a tablet is good. You could probably go two years or so and then sell it and maybe lose 500 or a 1000. But it is hard to tell. Cause technology changes some much. I could be dead wrong.

I think there will always be a market for used tablets. No matter what.

Is the fan noise quiet on the m7?

3. jritter

jritter Pen Pal - Newbie

So far I haven't had any complaints with the m7. I've done some fairly complicated parts in inventor and haven't slowed the machine down. I have not had a chance to run SA in inventor yet but I'll be doing some this spring with my class.

You can wait for the next best technology and you'll always be waiting. I think it was several months after the CoreDuos hit the market that word of the first CoreDuo tablets were coming, so you can probably expect the same thing with merom. I think this is a very speedy machine even running vista (actually seems to be a little livelier in vista than Tablet XP). Pro/E does support 64-bit in a 64-bit environment but Autodesk Inventor, however, will remain 32-bit for awhile apparently. So that, imho, would be a large part of your decision: (1.) Are you going to use/need 64-bit support? and (2.) Is it worth the wait? March of next year for the Santa Rosa based laptops (which means maybe july or august at best for the first tablets)

Edit: just saw that the M7 can be ordered with w/ meroms... so really its about bus speeds. not sure how much difference is between 667 and 800 or if it is worth the wait. I'm still curious to see if anyone has tried a CPU swap in the M7 but that is a topic for another forum.

We always want the best and greatest technology at the time but I don't regret my purchase one bit. You'd have to pry my tablet out of my cold dead hands before I gave it up :D

4. Olangu

Olangu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!
    Im looking into buying a Tecra M7 myself but I have some second toughts about the performance of the graphics card, the screen and the sound.

How well does it play recent games?

Is it playable in any of the following games?

* Neverwinter Nights 2
    * Medieval 2: Total War
    * NFS: Carbon

Any thoughts about the digitalizer-screen? (I will use it for photo editing)

Is the speakers in this system ok? Lot of laptops I've used have terrible sound quality of the built-in speakers.
    Does it have built-in microphone? (Love this for voice communication)

Looking forward for replies.

Thanks!

5. fishmahn

fishmahn Pen Pal - Newbie

Built-in microphone? Yes.
    Speaker quality? Don't expect (or get) any bass. Otherwise not tinny, ok for skype or webinars, not music - well, it might do ok for a flute sonata, but definitely nothing with heavy bass - well, it'll work but it won't have bass :), decent volume (for a laptop).

NWN2???: LOL I doubt it. IIRC NWN2 needs pretty good graphics. Won't work - here's a thread with some comments that say don't even try. The nVidia graphics is roughly equivelant to a Go7300 (same core but tuned for professional use not games). I haven't installed any games on mine yet, and never did find any real reviews. Don't know about the integrated graphics as I got the dedicated.

I'll have to pass on the screen opinion - I haven't played with Photoshop yet, though from the use I've had so far the feel is smooth, good grip on the screen, and quite accurate tracking - but if I draw a very fast line across the screen there's a touch of lag at the end, though very little.

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.