Tecra M7 Review (part 1)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by jritter, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urchimpy

urchimpy Pen Pal - Newbie

Did any one notice that when you try to scroll down in portrait mode you see kind of a transparent diagonal while scrolling quickly. Is it just me or has any one else experienced this as well? It may have something to do with NVIDIA drivers.

2. andy2006

andy2006 Pen Pal - Newbie

is there another link for how to upgrade the ram ? tabletpcbuzz seems to have gone down for good just wondering if that article is anywhere else ? i want to upgrade the raM myself and ive read through the instructions im just not sure how i should correctly take the keyboard off.

3. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,
    I am hesitating between the M7 and the Gateway tablet PC, and had the following questions for M7 Owners.
    When switching from portrait to landscape on the M7, do you need to recalibrate the Pen (it seems you need to on the gateway)?
    Has anyone tried to set the M7 at 120dpi (instead of the default 96dpi), and if so did you encounter any issue in various apps, in the digitizer, and in response time.

Appreciate all the feedback you can provide.

4. andy2006

andy2006 Pen Pal - Newbie

no you dont need to recalibrate the pen :)

5. negora

negora Pen Pal - Newbie

hi everybody,

great review to get this thread started, very helpful info along the way as well. I hope to be able to contribute some myself in the near future, which is why I'm prospecting now :)

I'm pretty much convinced about getting an M7, what bothers me is that on toshibadirect's site upgrading from 512 to 2GB costs me $325, and looking into those 2x1GB Patriot modules I heard about earlier in this thread, they cost, at apparently the exact same specs, about $210. Makes one wonder. I'd rather get a slice battery pack with the difference in $.

Is this general practice among notebook buyers? Get a system with as litle memory as possible and upgrade once you get it?

Thanks a lot, that's all for now.

6. revaaron

revaaron Pen Pal - Newbie

that's excatly what I'm trying to decided between...
    the M7 is $2559 and the gateway is $1605...
    had decisions..

7. WEBSRFRINMD

WEBSRFRINMD M200, M7

1GB of memory costs just $100-$125 on NewEgg.com

Don't pay Toshiba for any of the upgrades. You can get it for much cheaper elsewhere!

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh most certainly....
    I never, ever purchase upgrade RAM with the tablet from the dealer.
    As stated above and by myself in other topics, this choice makes it way, way expensive.

You're much better protecting your wallet and getting the RAM from a third-party vendor and depending on the tablet, it can be a pain free task. :)

9. superart

superart Pen Pal - Newbie

jritter,

thanks for mentioning inventor. I am thinking about getting a tablet, and have been trying to find info on how well this tablet runs 3-D CAD.

Do you use the stress analasys features in inventor? How does that work on the tablet? Do you have any experience running Pro/E?

I am pretty much set on getting an M7. The only thing I am currently debating is if I want to get an M7 now, or wait untill the next generation with Santa Rosa chipset comes out next year.
    What would you suggest? Is there anything that you feel the system can't do now that it would be able to do with slightly higher power?

10. ryanmartini

ryanmartini Pen Pal - Newbie

well if you can wait to Q3, me I do not have that luxury as I might start school during the summer term, even in the fall term, I would be a month without a computer, not cool!

if your predicament allows you to wait, go ahead. But no matter what cpu you have, a dedicated graphics card and larger screen will always tax your battery more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.