Tecra M7 Review (part 1)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by jritter, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urchimpy

urchimpy Pen Pal - Newbie

2. thedamian

thedamian Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered my m7 on 7/16, complete with even 2GB of the DDR2 667 ram, which said it might cause delay (it was overly expensive, but I wasn't willing to try other ram for an upgrade, I've had too many problems with this in laptops before). I also ordered an extra main battery and docking station, which arrived yesterday (7/25). The tablet itself said it shipped today, and did the Shanghai - Beijing - Shanghai shipping others have reported. Now it shows up as "AN EXPORT GATEWAY HOLD CAUSED THIS DELAY". Did anyone else have this show up in the tracking info?

Regardless of that, it appears that Toshiba is beginning to get their act together with regards to the M7. Mine took low end of the 8-10 days they suggest, even with the highest options.

Now I just have to wait...

3. Madhog

Madhog Pen Pal - Newbie

That little metal ring is designed to help you remove the old tip from the pen and help you insert the new one... from what I can tell. I haven't touched the manual yet since I got my M7 last thursday. The metal ring came along with extra tips in the tablet pen box, so I'm pretty sure on this one.

4. Madhog

Madhog Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree.. I have tweaked things a bit and when on battery only and doing meeting stuff like loading up UI drawings or taking notes I'm getting upwards of 3 hours. Turning the brightness down seems to make the biggest difference. FWIW, I "calibrated" the battery according to the instructions posted here recently. Also, my M7 has the dedicated video, faster RAM, 7200 rpm hard drive, and a 2.0 ghz processor, so I'm pretty happy with battery life in terms of the specs of this machine.

I have the Slice battery and it does effectively double battery life from what I can tell. I haven't really done an endurance run with it yet since I have only used it initially to calibrate it along with the other battery. The first transatlantic flight I take will be in September and that'll be the big test.

5. urchimpy

Thanks Madhog, approximately how long does each of the tip of the pen lasts?

6. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably depends on approximately how hard you press the pen, and approximately how often.

Approximately... different for everyone? :D

7. urchimpy

Ooh I see, so do I have to wait for the pen tip to break before replacing it?

8. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know. You can probably just look at it and feel it every once and a while in comparison to the replacement nibs. I'm not sure if it might develop a sharp edge (which would scratch your screen) or perhaps the top would wear down (so you have less of a 'point' to ink with).

9. john1016

john1016 Pen Pal - Newbie

Out of curiousity does anyone know what type of RAM and hard drive that the Tecra M7 uses? Also are you able to use the recovery disks to do a fresh install on a different harddrive?

10. urchimpy

I recently received my M7 too. But right now I am so baffled by the bloatware. I read the previous posts and realized that I cannot uninstall Sonic Record as that would be needed for recovery disks. So I left that and uninstalled Yahoo and AOL and a few other programs but the list is so long - everytime I start my computer this is the long list I am haunted by -

1. Config Free

2. CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer

3. Power saver properties (although I think they are helpful for getting a long battery life)

4. Protector Suite QL

5. Echo Cancellor On

6. Optical Drive Power ON

7. McAfee Security Center

8. Touch Pad

9. Tablet Button Enabled

10. Toshiba HDD Protection

11. V.92 Modem on Hold App

I am so confused right now as to which of these to keep or which to uninstall. What are some of the commonly uninstalled programs out of these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.