Tecra M7 Review (part 1)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by jritter, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutie4032

cutie4032 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the link. Yeah they are def nice. My favs are the 14 and 15' totes, but they are a lil pricey. Sooo cute though :p

2. hiheyho

hiheyho Pen Pal - Newbie

if u ordered through toshibadirect, how long is the wait generally?

3. polonius

polonius Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my M7 as well - terrific machine.

Jritter, have you tried any new video drivers from laptop video? I hear there are large 3dmark performance boosts.

And where did you get the wacom driver?

4. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

5. hiheyho

hiheyho Pen Pal - Newbie

what is the wacom driver?

6. BenjaminRies

Go to Support on the site, and you'll find a list of downloads. Choose "Tablet PC" and "Windows XP". There's only one download that comes up, and its an enhanced driver for the digitizer. Wacom also refers to this product as the "Penabled" platform.

The driver is supposed to offer better stability and responsiveness when inking... as well as enabling graphics applications (like Photoshop) to recognize the pressure sensitivity of your pen, just like they would with an external graphics tablet.

As soon as I get my tablet, I'm installing it.

7. jritter

jritter Pen Pal - Newbie

here is a direct link to the wacom tabletpc driver page.

As far as the laptop2go drivers.. the 84.52 build on the m7 is the latest release... That is not to say you won't get a performance increase, but sometimes that comes at a cost to other features. Most cases with the "hacked" drivers like omega and the laptop2go... you get an increased fps by sacrificing some other features or degrade quality. I will try them out on the spare test drive before i finish with part 2.

hiheyho- it took most of us 2-2.5 actual weeks for custom machines.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. jritter

jritter Pen Pal - Newbie

the compartment for the pen IS there... i just didn't order the pen as I will be buying the wacom cross pen soon in the future.
    as far as benchmark testing goes.. 3dmark and pcmark from futuremark are pretty much standard.
    I shelled out the money for the pro package the other day so expect the full benchmark numbers real soon.
    I'll also add sysmark, hdtune and more screen caps from cpu-z. I am in the process of compiling other systems' data for comparison as we speak. The next two weeks are a going to be a pain at work as I am getting ready for the new school year, but i will be able to get a lot done in the evenings :) I wanted to at least get Part 1 out to give something to the readers that are interested in this tablet for school.
    -Ritter

9. BenjaminRies

In addition, I'll be posting my student-perspective impressions of the M7 over on studenttabletpc.com next week.

10. Madhog

Madhog Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice review, jritter..

I got my machine yesterday - it was ordered on 6/28, so it took awhile but that was pretty much to be expected.

This is my first tablet PC and so far I am really impressed - it's really incredible to work with "ink" like this.

I have a 2ghz model with 1 gig of 667 memory, which I will augment with an additional DIMM soon once I see a few more reports from people who have found reliable memory sources for the M7.

I do miss the vertical resolution - as I have changed from my dell 600m with 1050 in the vertical to this one with 900. If Toshiba eventually release a higher-res screen for this I will probably do whatever I have to do to replace it, because that would absolutely make this a perfect machine for me.

I am not sure what I think about the slice battery - it's cool for using the tablet in tablet mode on your lap (in landscape, I think). But I really wish there was a drive-bay option so I could swap a battery in there for the DVD drive. The DVD drive does not appear to be easily removable in any sort of way so I'm guessing this means there will never be a battery for that bay available. That's unfortunate - not sure I understand the inconsistency that Toshiba has with things like this.. if I ordered an M5 I could have that option. So why not use the SlimBay stuff for the M7?

Finally, let this be a warning to anyone who has not ever had a Toshiba before - the disk recovery utility that lets you burn recovery disks is actually part of the Sonic RecordNow crap that I inadvertantly removed in my flurry of bloatware removal when I first fired up the machine. I had to use system restore to go back a few steps and find it, as it's not one of the utilities you can reinstall using the Toshiba utilities tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.