Tecra M7 and Windows 7 (Working Perfectly!)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Seketh, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

If anyone around here still has a Tecra M7, you'll be glad to know that everything is working perfectly on Windows 7 Beta.

All you need to do is install all the Vista drivers available on the Toshiba support page. Notice that some drivers, like display and sound are already installed or available through Windows Update..

I'm currently using Windows 7 as my primary os, since I have no major problems, with the exception of the Toshiba Flash Memory driver, which delays windows shutdown, but since I use sleep most of the time, I don't care. If you don't use flash cards, don't install this driver.

I'm also using RMCLock to undervolt the tablet, I recommend you learn how to use it.

On a side note, I noticed that I can now play HD, up to 1080p, on power saving (While plugged, with battery even 720p is slow!)

Still, quite impressive for a 3 year old tablet running a T2400 Dual Core @ 997.67Mhz (in power saving)

K-lite codec pack, which is 100% free, has an awesome HD codec decoder.

I hope someone around here is still using this great Tablet Pc, so please, share your experience.

Here's my desktop:
    [​IMG]

2. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

Impressive. I got a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz, with 2 GB of RAM, wonder how it will do. I only got XP at the moment though. Might not risk it, I know not enough.

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Torrents are illegal and should not be advocated on this site!

4. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

Sorry for the reference, already edited my post.

5. rusty1404

rusty1404 Pen Pal - Newbie

Please clarify you mean by "torrents are illegal"? Do you mean that being in possesion of a file with a .torrent extension is illegal? Do you mean that a file with hash table that can be used by the bit-torrent protocol is illegal? Are bit-torrent clients like VUZE illegal software? Is the act of downloading data using the bit-torrent protocol illegal? Is providing links to torrent files illegal?

Actually the last question is legally intruiging, and topical since the 4 owners of The Pirate Bay, a noted torrent tracking website, are in court this week. read more... This court case will shed some light on the matter since we will see if, under Swedish Law, providing links to material which may enable the redistrubtion of material protected by copyright (and thus Swedish Law) is illegal. Of course this can only apply where the files are under copyright and the permission of the copyright owner has not been obtained.
    The pirate Bay Court blog, fascinating.
    background reading
    Interview and commentary in magazine format from what I suppose we shall consider mainstream media

If torrents are in fact; illegal, or evil and immoral to the point where it contravenes some widely adopted UN convention such as the Geneva Conventions. Then please provide references to the appropriate legislative acts or UN archives.

and then tell the following people before they all get arrested:

Brightcove
    Microsoft
    NTL
    Bittorrent
    and their clients: Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Comedy Central, Sega, Warner Borthers, Th!nk Film, MTV, Netgear...

Providing a link to a torrent file that can be used to contravene copyright law may very well be illegal in a number of legal frameworks. The point is that we must watch our language. Language is important since it helps define ideology.
    Feminism and Language

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. QuantumXL

QuantumXL Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, Yes, I too use this computer and find it to be my baby as a computer. I have yet resorted to getting another tablet cause i do love this. There are downflaws to this laptop though. The LCD latch Breaks Very easily and the screen shakes every single time you move it Very flimsy; however, that has been that way since day one. If you maintain your laptop you also come to find out that the front LCD Bezel is also very flimsy and breaks very easily. Mine is cracked in 3 places already, and i care for my laptop. Overheating issue has always been a M7 issue even have a full clean out and application of artic paste.

My review on the M7. Now my first looks on Windows 7. Now i just recently installed the beta, which doesn't have to be torrented and can be downloaded from the Windows Website and attempting to run it, however at first glances it seems like i can't run any vista drivers that are downloaded from the Toshiba website. I tried running Bios 3.5 or the Wireless drivers and it didn't work. I just installed the Nvidia Display Drivers and going for a restart so i will update after this.

7. QuantumXL

UPDATE: Okay i have attempted to install some of the BIOS drivers again after a couple of restarts, and was unsuccessful. The bluetooth stack, Intel Wireless Drivers, Audio Drivers, and finger print reader installed smoothly. Rotation utilities aren't working though, so thats a down fall. I don't know how to fix this and maybe some of ya'all can help me out on this one. So far so good, 7 has been nice to the tecra M7. (No pun...)

8. QuantumXL

Update #2: Okay I just finished installing a whole bunch of drivers. It seems like installing the value pack from the toshiba website helped alot. The rotation utility actually works now what is phenomenal. There seems to be a glitch though everytime you install something it has this lower right screen reset position for the cursor. I hit install and its down in the lower right hand corner which i seem to be wierd out when i'm in laptop mode. The new writing system that teaches you how to write things is also great. The tablet features are very thought out and clean. It seems like a very cleaned up version of vista, but it seems better than that... I'm actually enjoying 7 so far. Very smooth start up (Even though it could be laggy at times) and SUPER smooth shut down. NO complaints about the shut down at all! Operation is great. It might just be the new XP... an interesting and bold statement to say, but everyone did hate XP when it first came out. XP is now the only thing people can use. I'm wondering now, what ever happened to that aero feature with the "ALT TAB" Looking thing. Did they decide to completely ditch it or is it somewhere i don't know? However I'm liking it. It might be puppy love or something but this is love at first sight so far. Lets see what happens after a little test run.

EDIT: The Aero thing was a simple mistake. I didn't rate my computer. In order to recieve that aero feature make sure your rate your computer through the control panel. Anyways i must go. Hope you guys enjoy Windows 7. It actually is worth it... So far...

9. QuantumXL

Update #3: After running after a couple of days a couple of flaws started to creep out the cracks. The computer isn't shutting down, and that might have been due to the fact that i uploaded the Flash reader drivers as the individual that made this originally said. I would hit shut down and everything would stop, all processes, however it wouldn't actually shut down. Sorry about that Seketh. Should have listened to you about that driver. But besides that it runs like a beauty. Just as smooth as XP, with nicer features. I hope Microsoft doesn't try to beat around the bush trying to release like 14 different types of Windows 7 (Home business ultimate professional etc etc) I think they should just stick to one or two at the most. Home and Professional. That is it. If you have anytype of laptop and just do normal internet surfing on it just try and upgrade your computer. It can be worth it...

10. Harrowed

Harrowed Toshiba M700 User! :D

Problems with shutting own are due to the Toshiba Drivers :( I've had the same problems with Toshiba M700.. But fresh install, installing only the Graphics/Sound drivers reboots quite fast without a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.