Tecra M4 vs HP tx1000?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Brian, Mar 19, 2007.

?

Which one is better?

1. Tecra M4

66.7%
  2. HP tx1000

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_mayorga

alex_mayorga Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this one might sound a bit "apples to oranges" sort of comparison.

This would be my main and only PC so I want the best I can buy.

I've spotted a great deal, I think, on a Toshiba Tablet M4-SP645 (anyone that has the exact model and could tell me if the bluetooth module is included, details only mention antennae) at around US$ 1000, it's listed to include the GeForce 6600. I wonder if that configuration could run Vista full fledged, especially of interest would be the speech recognition.

I also found a HP tx100 on an Office Depot at about twice the price US$ 1850 (advantage here is I can pay in 12 monthly installments), I played with it a little and found it a bit to cramped for my taste, I liked the integrated webcam, the fingerprint reader and the two microphone array.

So my question is, is the tx1000 twice the computing power than the M4?

I'd like to do light gaming on it (MOHAA, Quake 1-3, Doom, etc), mostly surfing/chating/mailing/blogging, maybe some java/ruby/GTK development as hobby. I also plan to install Ubuntu/Beryl on a partition of the HD so any experiences would be appreciated as well.

I basically want to know if the M4 still "cuts the mustard"

For perspective sake I'm coming from a Latitude CPxJ, don't laugh :p, and I'm just getting tired of its slowness and crappy keyboard with the legendary "8ik, problem". I've been dreaming of a tablet since the Tecra M200 and looks like I can finally afford it. Vista support is not mandatory (I'm still very happy with XP Pro), I don't want all the DRM, just the speech recognition.

Thanks in advance. Any comment/information/idea/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The benefit of the HP isn't power, it's portability. The M4 is a beast. If you want to game and have more power, the M4 is the way to go. If you want portability, it's the HP.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

M4:
    + higher resolution LCD (1400x1050)
    + Active digitizer
    + decent dedicated GPU (for 2005)
    + Bigger LCD
    - Heavy
    - Single core older CPU with slower RAM
    - pen required for tablet input

TX1000:
    + Light
    + touch with fingernails without pen
    + dual core newer CPU with faster RAM
    - small screen
    - lower res (1280x800)
    - passive digitizer with no pressure sensitivity
    - slower dedicated GPU even for 2005

4. alex_mayorga

alex_mayorga Pen Pal - Newbie

Brian,

It's really the M4 more powerful? I've yet to find a benchmark putting those two trough their peaces. I thought the AMD Turion 64 X2 would be way nore powerful.

I'm certainly leaning to the M4 side. Do you thing the price quote I got is a good deal?

Shogmaster,

Thanks on putting that pro/con list together for me. So what would you say about the vista/gaming capabilities of these two systems?

What would you say is the best fit given the usage scenario I've detailed on the first post?

I would also like to know if newer tablets with discrete graphic cards and 13-14" screens are coming soon, in case you think it's a better idea to wait I'd like to know too.

If the M4 can do Vista Ultimate decently I don't really see what would be the benefit of dual cores, I believe it's more "mumbo jumbo" than reality. Any benchmarks you can point me to?

Thank you all on your comments, I'm grateful there are experts on the topic willing to help me out with this decision.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There are no info on new 13~14" LCD TPCs coming out period, let alone any info on those with dedicated GPUs. Sorry.

As for Vista, either machine will be "decent" (and both will run all the apps you mentioned fine), but you might be dismissing dual core too quickly. Anytime you have multiple apps going at once (as simple as running multiple video windows at once), you'll see the benefits multi core set up.

6. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For general computing, I'd take the HP, for gaming, the M4. You'r going to want the decdicated GPU for gaming, there's no real comparison there with the HP card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.