Tecra M4 heating issues?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Justme2, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaylya

Kaylya Pen Pal - Newbie

I am considering getting an M4, and I've seen some people mention that it gets quite hot. I'm currently using a Dell Latitude D600 laptop; it also gets quite hot. If I get the M4 (I'm not completely set on a tablet; the M4 is a bit more than I'd like to spend), it would be my only computer, and would be used for some gaming (World of Warcraft being the important one ;))

The Dell will get quite hot and then the processor (Pentium M 1.4ghz) will slow down to a crawl while it cools down, which makes games temporarily unplayable (e.g. 2 frames per second)

Is this an issue with the M4?

Second question, I am in Canada. Is there any way to get a custom configured system? Toshiba Direct doesn't appear to ship to Canada, and all of the systems I see are shipping with 512 ram, a DVD burner, and an 80gb hard drive, while I'd want 1gb ram, but would be happy with the DVD/CDRW and a 40g hard drive.

2. alks

alks Pen Pal - Newbie

I live in Canada too and have an M4. It is true, they do get really hot at times (enough that I'm not comfortable keeping it on my lap)...I haven't played games on it heavily yet (still getting settled in with it)... But when I do play, the fan kicks in and gets nice and loud...It hasn't had any lag problems though (this was after maybe 15-30 minutes of play)... The system is pretty good, overall I am pleased with it (I have a 1.7ghz and 64meg vid card but 1.5 gigs ram). I got my system off of e-bay, which may be your best bet to get something besides a pre-configured system. What I noticed is that toshiba online canada sells M4's for 1000 (canadian) more than the US website. So, e-bay worked out to be the best deal. Check around, often systems will come up which have some really great configurations. If you have any more questions, let me know, and I'll try to be a bit more helpful.

alks

3. alks

alks Pen Pal - Newbie

update on how it runs games: it runs half-life 2 all purdy like...i was quite amazed...kicks my ol' desktop around (which has a faster processor but a slightly older video card)

4. Justme2

Justme2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry this is a little late, but...

I have a Dell D600 and a Tecra M4

The dell gets way hotter than the tecra.
    The tecra fan is louder at times (like playing games).
    They are both good laptops. The dell should not slow down like you said. Did you try using a can of compressed air to clean the dust out of the air intake for the cpu? I hated the fact the air intake was on the bottom, getting blocked off when the laptop was actualy in your lap!
    The Tecra doesnt suffer from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.