Teclast X80H Dual Boot Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will567, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently got this tablet, an 8 inch device, which can dual boot both android 4.4.4, and Windows 8.1. It is powered by an Intel Baytrail-T Z3735 processor, with a burst speed up to 1.83Ghz. 2GB ram, and 32GB storage can be added to with the microsd card slot. A nice addition is a microHDMI port, which allows you to easily connect to a TV or monitor. The cameras are lower end, 2MP rear, and 0.3MP front. The 5000mAh battery is decently sized for the tablet, and it's 1280 x 800 screen doesn't suck up a lot of juice compared to tablets with higher resolutions. I find the 189ppi density is good on an 8 inch device, I don't think it would work on a larger screen. It's not the lightest tablet at 356 grams, nor the sleekest, 208 x 122 x 7.9mm. But it is easy to hold for long periods of time, and the stereo speakers on the left side, as held in landscape mode, are well placed and provide surprisingly good quality sound.

I first booted into android, and was struck by how the included launcher was so minimalist. This image, from Teclast's web site, gives the impression you can run both operating systems at the same time, but you can't. The android screen, on the left, is what you see when you boot.

[​IMG]

Basically it's your app drawer on the main screen, kind of like Apple products. I immediately side loaded Apex launcher, which I've found to be easy on system resources, with a good amount of customizing available.

[​IMG]

Rooting the device is fairly easy. XDA member Frontier provided a link to X98 Toolbox, which is for another Teclast tablet, but the rooting method works on the X80H.
    Download it from here: http://d-h.st/9RX Extract the package, double-click on 1_Toolbox.bat, connect your tablet to the PC and press ‘E’. Once rooted, you can proceed to correct the only real issue i had with the device, which is that the Google Playstore wouldn't work. Showing a screen with the words "No connection, please retry" was the only thing I could get the store to do for a while. Once again, Frontier provided a fix for the same problem on the X98, which seems to work for most X80H users, that fix is here http://forum.xda-developers.com/and...8-air-3g-tablet-9-7-2048x1536-t2913035/page43.

In the week or so I've had the device, I've noticed no lag in applications, or in the UI. Benchmarks are really not a good measure of a device's performance, in my opinion. You can get some idea of how one device compares to another, but really using it day in and day out is where you see how good a device is, not how high it's score on Quadrant is. Having said that, here's the Antutu and Quadrant results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Web browsing is snappy, and the wifi is strong, good enough to get a fast connection anywhere in my house. So, enough android. What about Windows? When you start the tablet, this is what you see:

[​IMG]

If you are restarting in whichever operating system you were previously in, it just boots normally. If you're switching, you see this:

[​IMG]

So then, you go to Windows 8.1. After signing into my Microsoft account, it is mostly a typical Windows 8.1 tablet experience. Some things are in chinese characters, but nothing that so far has prevented using the tablet in any way. It's an official Windows version, and you get Office for a year also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, the Teclast X80H works well as both an android and Windows tablet. While it doesn't have the highest specs for a tablet this size, it does have more than adequate performance, and the screen is good enough for most users. What makes this very interesting tablet even more appealing is the price. I got it from Tinydeal.com, shipped by DHL, for $148USD. There are several Chinese companies with dual boot tablets available now, if you're interested, check out the X80H at
    Tinydeal X80H

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    Mesosphere and phaapane like this.
  2. awaryjne1995

awaryjne1995 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I that's a great review!!
    But I would like to ask one thing - when you get this tablet it had only android, right? And then you installed windows?
    Did I understand right?
    I bought teclast x98 air II and it has only Android, but I ordered with android and windows.
    Now I am wondering what to do to make windows on my device, maybe you know? :)
    I will be really greatful!!!

3. will567

No, mine had both operating systems already installed. Xda has some threads that can help you load the dual boot bios, it's a fairly complicated procedure. There is a dual boot x98 air available with and without 3g.

sent from hdx+ with tapatalk

4. awaryjne1995

awaryjne1995 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for your answer!
    So I guess the seller sent me the wrong tablet....
    Anyway, thank you :)

5. will567

No problem. Definitely you got the wrong tablet sent, the dual boot option should appear whenever you turn on the device.

6. Edmar

Edmar Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanting to buy one tablet with windows and android.
    I am stoped in two models.
    Teclast X80h and Teclast X98 Air II. Both are good tablets but the big one is almost twice expensive. So do you think I can use the X80h as a small computer connected to a monitor?
    Worth it expend almost twice the value in the big one (X98 Air)?
    Thanks for all help.
    I hope to make my order tomorrow in aliexpress.
    --------------
    Just more one thing:
    What about the battery life in Android and Windows? How much time?
    And anyone with dual boot could tell me how much space is there in both OSs?
    Is there any good rom for android? I saw the X98 Air has a lot of cooked roms.
    Thanks.

7. will567

With the HDMI out you could certainly connect a monitor, use a powered hub and attach a keyboard/mouse. Battery life is not the greatest, I would say four hours of heavy use, with cpu intensive applications. Six to seven with moderate use is probably achievable. Android has between 6-7Gb free, windows a little under 2 Gb after installing Microsoft office. you can use an external sd card, which helps.
    No roms for the tablet yet, that I know of. You can root it easily enough.

8. Edmar

Edmar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your fast answer. I know this is personal but do you think the X98 Air is a better choice? It is almost the double price.
    Do you have any complains about the tablet? I liked your review and I am believe I will order today.

9. will567

Well, the X98 Air seems to have more development, and is better as a stand-alone tablet, I would say. For me the attraction of the X80H was price as well as being dual boot. If you can afford it, the X98 Air has better, bigger screen, a little better cpu, and possibly longer battery life. I would look at the threads on XDA for each device to compare before ordering, if you are undecided.

10. Graham18888

Graham18888 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi will I just got my x80h its the foshizzle quick brain picking ...... I can't root using the toolbox when I try It does nothing do I have to be in the bios menu like my note 3 if so how do I get into it? My play store seems to be OK....
    Do you know what the Chinese apps are and what they do safe to uninstall
    And is there away to change all the settings on windows and android eg when windows updates its I'm Chinese .. And can you set the keyboard to pop up on windows or do you have to press the keypad butto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.