Teacher looking for advice...

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by misterd, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterd

misterd Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a high school science teacher on a budget (mine, not the school's). I just had an interactive whiteboard and projector installed in my room, and would like to buy a new laptop to use with them (my current one is 7 years old). I am strongly leaning towards a tablet, but not really sure what is worth it. There is currently a sale on Gateway's C-140 series (http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529597319.php?seg=hm&cmpid=programsconvertible) so I was leaning in that direction, but have no idea if they're worth it. I really would like to keep the cost down to $1000 or less, but with a ceiling of $1200 if need be.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the FAQ first....

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? Prefer $1000 or less, but up to $1200

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Convertable I think

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

larger would make it easier for me to use overall, but I plan on carrying around the room, too, so I don't want it to be too heavy.

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?No

6. How many hours battery life do you require? More than 5 hours

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for? Classroom instruction

8. Do you have an OS preference? Windows Vista

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Smartboard software, Power point, educational software

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list. no

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? widescreen, but it really doesn't matter much

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.
    Not sure

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    Indoor only

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    See explanation below for guidance. Don't know

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    See explanation below for guidance. Don't know - sorry, this is coming up too soon

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Pretty open

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? Don't believe so

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? No

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd endorse the Gateway 100%. Granted it will be heavier than most, and i don't notice it, but you may with all your HS teacher-y type stuff.

That said, i'd suggest also going on the main webpage, look for the MPC link for the Gateway professional series. You can spec out an education model, then save the quote and call them and see if there is any more discounting. They used to do it before MPC took over the business/education models.

if not, you can stick with the 140X or XL models. I'd also, call them and see if they would discount anything for you. doesn't hurt to try.

Youd be the coolest teacher in the school with a tablet.

3. ivang

ivang Pen Pal - Newbie

4. misterd

misterd Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I checked both out, and decided to go with the Gateway, mostly for cost (the $1000 was pushing my wallet as it was). Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I'll be able to toss in my 2 cents after it arrives.