TC4400 Screen Issue

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by DipreSantana, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DipreSantana

DipreSantana Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a TC4400, and one day, the screen goes black, I flashed a flashlight onto the screen, and the display is still working, but there's no backlight. So I bought a whole new lid assembly, screen, inverter, everything. I install it, and nothing. Then I buy the little board that has the lid controller and volume buttons on it, I replace my old one, and nothing. I go into the BIOS settings to make sure and there is no option to turn off the backlight, and the motherboard's connector doesn't have any bent pins. The screen still wont light up, has anyone else had this issue?

2. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Safety hint: The inverter usually creates 3 to 4 digit voltages. Unless you really know what you do and how to protect yourself, keep your fingers off this. If you get shocked, you will not forget that for the rest of your life, which might get drastically shortened.

You should try measuring the input voltages of the inverter. (Usually no problem with the inverter not connected, which is safer). If it doesn't get juice, something's wrong on a scale likely unfixable to most.
    If it gets juice and just the wrong signaling voltage for the brightness level something like a small voltage divider could at least restore a static screen brightness.

3. DipreSantana

Well, I've replaced everything, the motherboard, the whole lid, everything, and it still won't work, even worse, when I hook it up to an external monitor it's just a blank screen. Guess I'm just gonna have to throw it out.

4. Hattori Hanzo

It's a shame transatlantic shipping is so expensive...

5. DipreSantana

Throw me an offer I can't refuse.

6. Hattori Hanzo

Well, a TC4400 in not working condition is not exactly valuable.
    The shipping from the US to Germany alone costs more than I'd be willing to pay, as I can get a working one here with with half a year of warranty from a reseller for just above 100€.

And I'm quite sure you won't pay half the shipping to get rid of it when your own dumpster is free and the assortment of parts you have gathered gets you maybe $20 still on ebay...

7. DipreSantana

I ended up paying a bit over $100 for the the screen and lid assembly plus the motherboard, but It's true what you say about shipping.

8. elerouxx

elerouxx Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this problem before. It turned out to be an old battery problem.

Sorry for replying this old thread so late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.