TC4400 recovery partition

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by daver, Jun 9, 2007.

1. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi folks,

So I've finally ordered a TC4400. Took me bloody long enough, but I still blame my student loans for that. Long story short, I wanted to finish paying off my last loan before buying the computer.

Anyways, I know that the TC4400 comes with some sort of recovery thing that's been pre-partitioned on the hard disk. I was just wondering how you access this? Can you simply access those files sort of like a D:\ and put those on a DVD, blah blah blah? Or does HP provide some sort of software that lets you do this?

Anyways (again), I'm totally psyched while I wait for it to arrive. Ordered the RM164UT for only $1800! Of course, it took a LOT of research and patience to find a loop hole in the system at my university to extend the student discount on computers.

TIA,
    daver

2. tonyminides

tonyminides Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't worry, You can get or download your restore cds for the TC1000, TC1100, tc4200 or TC4400 from Tony on http://www.marknine.net/TC1000.html

He will send or allow you to download the ISO images for a small fee.

Tony is very helpful and he knows a lot about recovering tablets. He's been doing it for years...

3. JoeVonBek

JoeVonBek Pen Pal - Newbie

Tony's site does still appear to offer recovery discs, but at about $40 (Pounds Sterling in the UK, correct?) for the DVD's or download. Being a dad on a budget, that's personally a significant investment for me at the moment, as I'm also shopping around for a recovery solution.

I recently picked up a TC4400 in "new" condition, but with no recovery partition or HP software installed as expected. The original hdd had been either wiped or swapped out, but the condition of the laptop and accessories is otherwise like new, with the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition COA affixed underneath. HP of course no longer supports the TC4400 (per an off-shore chat with HP a few nights ago).

Other sites online also offer the discs and a variety of different prices. Any recommendations other than Tony's site (lower priced)? Thoughts from anyone on just upgrading to Vista or 7 and downloading drivers as needed instead? I'd prefer to stay with XP for the short-term to stay compatible with my current Adobe software suite (CS2).

TC4400: 2.0 c2d, 2gb ram, 80gb hdd (RL875AW#ABA)

4. terphenyl

terphenyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Picked up a TC4400 without a HDD, installed one, then booted/installed Windows 7 by thumbdrive. After the install settled down, a few things such as the tablet buttons weren't working. The solution for me was to repeatedly run Windows Update, even to letting the program scan for updates after it already came back saying there were no new updates....it often found additional ones, especially after restarts. No drivers disks necessary.
    Would this work with XP? Microsoft says it has stopped supporting XP, so this technique might not work.