TC4400 performance with Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by daver, Aug 17, 2007.

1. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, let's see a results for this. I know this for a fact that my ultra high capacity battery runs 8-9 hours with Vista Ultimate. I have had this laptop w/Vista for the past 3 months and I constantly check and that's the number I always get, so I'm pretty sure.

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

you're right about this. i had read that it takes a few full days for all that to settle down and become "normal".

basically, i'll do my test over the weekend when i don't really need the computer for work. i can say for sure that with:
    -Vista Ultimate
    -Aero Glass
    -WiFi on
    -full brightness
    -continuous downloading of a file (the Ubuntu 7.04 CD image)
    -constant music in the background

I can comfortably get about 3 hours of battery and still have juice left over. How much juice left is unknown (I never check)...3 hours seems quite decent, would"t you think?

3. daver

nutsnbolts, I just finished a round of BatteryEater Pro v2.70. I didn't have enough time to set up the who movie combo thingy, so I went the quick way out and just used BE Pro. here's my set up:

-brightness = 100%
    -Aero Glass on
    -screen saver off
    -WiFi on
    -BT off
    -Outlook, Onenote, Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Pro (2 docs), Opera (3 tabs), Excel (2 workbooks), Word (4 docs) all open
    -java-based MSN client open (no chats)

with that, i got 2hrs and 14 mins. so i would say that Vista+Aero definitely gets a hit in battery life, but not significantly (ie. less than 30 minute difference between XP and Vista). with XP i used to get about 2 hrs and 45 mins to about 3 hours under intensive use. i guess that's somewhat acceptable, considering that when in class (and not on AC power) i will only be using it for about 2 - 3 hours.

btw, i read somewhere that you can set Vista to automatically swap between Aero Glass and Vista Basic when you plug/unplug the AC power. how does one do this? i use Vista Basic, but my friend is in love with Aero, but is trying to find out how to get the Vista Basic/Aero swapping thing going.

daver

4. zoomy942

zoomy942 Pen Pal - Newbie

i have been using vista on my tc4400 with 2g of ram for a few months now and i love it. i have it on my wife's tc 4200, and i will say beyond the shadow of a doubt that Vista enjoys dual core CPU's. my tablet is leaps and bounds faster.

the tablet features are the best part. having it learn my handwriting helps alot becasue it gets better and better and i have less correcting to do. it love it.

i 100% reccommend Vista on a tablet.

5. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry for the late response. Easy question out of the way first. The application you are talking about is called Vista Battery Saver. (LINK HERE)

I can't complain about this considering that I keep forgetting to check how much time has passed to check a battery reading. I know that you should at least run it for 20 minutes before checking the % or time left. This way it's going or processing 20 minutes of "activity".

When I do check, I noticed or seem to notice that I do get a gain and the Vista Battery is doing it's job. I use it for the mere fact that I don't have to keep switching back and forth to battery saver.

The developer even included a "turn off aero when % battery is left" feature which is nice so you can keep your aero but automatically try to save you some more battery juice when it becomes more critical.

There are a lot of debates with this software so take it with a grain of salt. I feel like it's one of those "press the button to walk across the street" thing. I press and press and press and all and behold, the light turns and I can cross. Did it work or did it just kept me busy making it seem like it worked? :rolleyes:

Anyway, regarding your tests. Hmm...30 minutes only? I still can't believe that. Otherwise my external battery is wierded out. How can a company advertise 16+ hours (ok it's advertised so I minus a couple hours). Even then at 14 hours of supposed run time, I'm no where close. I get 10 hours tops.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. daver

i think that's the one, i'll forward it off to my friend asap, thanks

keep in mind that this is the minimum time that my tablet gets on battery. this isn't a measure of the max time i get on battery.

but i can say that I get around 3.5 hours on battery with Vista+Aero Glass. i don't use the Aero Glass UI, but I wan't to see how it affects my battery. i'm sure if i use just VIsta Basic I'll get about 20minutes of extra battery life.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. ichthyic

ichthyic Pen Pal - Newbie

On my TC4400 (T2400, 1GB ram), I used the Vista Ultimate Beta exclusively last year for fall semester, and much preferred it over XP Tablet. Mainly used for taking notes in OneNote 2007 Beta.
    Pros were:
    + handwriting recognition was *leaps and bounds* over XP
    + hibernation was faster both shutting down and restoring
    + eye candy... c'mon it looks pretty slick!

Cons:
    - fewer applications (I was enamored with Ink Desktop at the time, only available on XP), no support (at the time) for fingerprint reader, etc.

Things that were basically the same:
    = battery life was subjectively a little less (never performed a real test), but with both XP and Vista I can only get through 3hrs of class a day before recharging so it was a moot point

So for general note-taking, Vista was hands-down the winner over XP.

During the winter semester, and this fall, however, I need to run many more applications, such as Eclipse (for Java), Visual Studio 2005 (for C/C++), and some generally esoteric languages (OCAML, FRIL, etc). Microsoft specifically states that Visual Studio 2005, for example, is not supported on Vista. So to ward off any incompatibility problems I'm back to using XP.

I'd want to retry Vista but school is hard enough without having to fight with my OS.

- ichthyic

8. daver

have you considered using Microsoft Visual Studio Express Edition 2005? It works with Vista, but is a striped down version of the normal program. although, i don't know if any of the missing features are what you need or want to use. the best part is it's also FREE :)

9. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

another option is the beta version of both express 2008 and normal 2008
    it's free too
    works ok and got some cool new stuff

10. alefsin

alefsin Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 on Vista both on my tc4400 and my desktop on a regular basis. It works with no problem. You just need to install SP1 for VS and then there is a special patch for vista that you'll need to install too. Finally, you should run VS as an Administrator so that the debugger works fine. The two patches (SP1 and vista's specific patch) are both recognized by windows update.