TC4400 Hard Drive? Type? What kind to get?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by nutsnbolts, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm looking to upgrade my TC4400 HD (currently 60gig 5400rpm)

The question is:

1. What type do I need to get? (ATA, SATA?)
    2. Looking at the TC440 HP Specs, it says SMART SATA. SMART???
    3. 100gig 7200rpm or 160gig 5400rpm Pro's and Con's?
    4. Now where can I get these HD's other than from HP. Newegg/Zipzoomfly? The best site that is?

Thanks in advance.

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

1. 2.5" SATA (Do not go for a 1.8" or 3.5" hard drive; the former will jitter in your system, the latter will simply not fit)
    2. SMART stands for Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology; it's used in hard drives to report if there are any errors using a special application like HDTune or another application like it. Some may report the estimated date for the eventual failure of the hard drive itself.
    3. The hard drive is the current bottleneck for booting into Windows; the faster it is, the faster Windows and applications will load, but battery life will take a 5-15% hit and will produce more heat. Thus the 7200 RPM will seek better performance, but less battery life and more heat being produced; whereas the 5400 RPM is balance of battery life and performance.
    4. Newegg and Zipzoomfly are usually good sites to go to to find notebook hard drives. :)

3. nutsnbolts

1. Thanks. Should I be looking with SATA SMART?

2. Do I need to get a SMART SATA, looking at newegg, zipzoom, etc, it doesn't really say anything about "SMART" sata.

3. What would you get?

160gig 5400rpm = ~$130
    100gig 7200rpm = ~$100

4. Thanks! Will keep looking for prices.

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

1. All new hard drives support SMART, just look for 2.5" SATA, no need to worry about it. :)
    2. See #1.
    3. If you need the extra storage, go with the 160GB, if you need the performance go with the 100GB. If it were me, I'd go for the 160GB; because I'd probably dual boot with two flavors of Windows, or need that extra storage space to store my digital art creations, web design projects, course projects, and so forth. :)

5. nutsnbolts

1. Thanks, answered!
    2. Thanks again!
    3. I have a Dell XPS GEN 2 with 7200RPM ATA 100GIG drive and I don't see it to be a problem, in terms of, HD space and I use this computer for Gaming, Video Editing, Photo editing, etc.

If I need digital storage space, I have 3 externals all networked for space adding up to 1+ terrabyte of storage space.

My point in this (part of me justifying) is that I use this laptop for work, work stuff, minor photo editing and I just upgraded my memory because I'm starting to see some speed slowdowns (vista ultimate).

On the dual boot part, I don't know the benefits of having two boots. I preferer to keep it simple in this laptop with much much more power to do what I need done with it out not being able to keep up with me.

I guess for an extra 30 I'm seeing an additional 60 gig which is probably driving me nuts and making it hard to decide.

Last question, any big performance increase between the 5400rpm or 7200rpm? I mean noticeable to event warrant the performance over more storage space?

I know some things out there when comparing, the difference is so small that to choose the other option is more worth it.

6. bia.migueis

bia.migueis Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry about reviving an old thread but what I want to ask adds to this thread. I have the same tablet and same hd. Which speed should I get? SATA 3.0Gb/s, SATA 1.5Gb/s or SATA? Whats the difference in battery life versus performance?

7. TeslaTC4400

TeslaTC4400 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Randymanme

Randymanme Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using a HP Compaq tc4400 that was given to me used. It has a 160 GB hard drive. How high can I go? Would 500 GB still work? What's the limit? I got here while googling this question.

Any help would be appreciated. Thankls.