(TC4400) CTRL-ALT-DEL hardware button in tablet mode not working?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by nutsnbolts, Feb 26, 2007.

1. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I don't know what I did but the hardware button for CTRL-ALT-DEL is not working. Anyone else here have this issue on their TC4400?

I updated the bios, chipset, etc. So I don't know what else is wrong. I have called HP support and when they took their DEMO TC4400 to see what I was talking about, they didn't have an answer as well. As a matter of fact, the support tech even laughed and said, "Well, what do you know, mine doesn't work as well" ;)

Needless to say, I don't seem to see this issue anywhere on any forum and this place is my only hope considering it's the only forum I found that actually talks about the TC4400.

Please help!!

2. PVIllustration

PVIllustration Pen Pal - Newbie

well, i guess it was something during your updates that caused them to be not working. I havent updated anything really and mine works fine...

I hope you find a solution :)

3. nutsnbolts

Great that's good to know. This stinks. Anyone else updated and have any issue? Specifically the main things i updated are BIOS and Chipset.

4. nutsnbolts

Well this sucks. I have reformatted and reinstalled the manufacturers OS again and still the "security button" (as what HP calls it), for us, CTRL-ALT-DEL hardware button doesn't work. Just to clarify, I'm not speaking about the keyboard combination but the button above the scroller. In addition to the problem, the scroller "enter" button doesn't work as well. Anyone have any of these issues or is it something I don't have turned on? I have the latest BIOS on the laptop considering that doesn't get formatted so I'm wondering if that is the cause of it as well? I'm not really sure. Ironically, once again, after speaking with HP several times, they now want me to send my laptop to them for repair. Although when they were testing 5 of their demo laptops, 3 of them has the same issue. What is going on??

Can anyone here figure it out?

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

I tested the button just for you and it works fine. So does the scroll enter. This may seem odd, but I've never used the ctrl-alt-del button before. I can see the value in the enter button, but just out of curiosity what do you use this button for? As far as correcting it, it may be that you need to send it to HP.

6. nutsnbolts

Daring:

Do you have the latest bios? CLICK HERE

The button CTRL-ALT-DEL is used to bring up the Task menu. To force close running programs. If the machine is setup for not having fast switching, sometimes you need to enter CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the username/password input boxes.

Regardless of their use, I just don't want to have something on my laptop that doesn't work. I may or may not use it but it's like having a ding on the car lol. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Let me know your BIOS status.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Daring

Daring Moderator

I don't have a TC4400, I do however have the latest TC4200 bios.

I was aware of this, however I generally just right click on the taskbar and select task manager from there. Same function and I don't have to locate the button on the side.

I agree with you here. Are you presently running Vista or XP?

8. nutsnbolts

Good point, I never thought of that, the only option that was in my head was to keep flipping the lcd around if need be. :D

I am currently running Tablet XP and not vista. From what I gathered, some people have already converted and got it to work but not at 100% compatibility. With the release of the WINXP drivers (at least for the 4400), I'm presumng that it would be completely compatible. I guess until I have attempted it then would I know exactly what works and doesn't work.

Then again, I won't be attempting this till I have all the hardware issues working. I'm kinda disappointed that I'm having all these issues from a new laptop and HP so far is clueless other than having me send my laptop to them. I haven't even fully used it yet. GRRR...

After this is resolved, I would think I would upgrade the ram and the HD and then upgrade to Ultimate Vista. By then I think everything should be released (driver wise). I'm looking at probably another 2 months before I do this.

How about you? Vista running yet?

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

I've been running Vista since July. I just converted to the release version about a week ago and with the TC4400 drivers things have been working great.

10. nutsnbolts

Hmm, you stated that you run the 4200. I could have sworn I have read somewhere that on the 4400, with the fingerprint reader, it doesn't full work with Vista, along with all the security applications that comes with it. I'm wondering if this is still the case. I wish I can compare apples to apples (4400 versus 4400 vista installation) but I have yet not found anyone who has a 4400 and is running vista successfully. That is with all applications, hardware fully functioning. There is usually a component or two that is still in the air.