tc4200 standby and pen issue

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Dragonlord, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zybler

zybler Pen Pal - Newbie

Sometimes when I boot up the machine, the pen would failed to work. Restarting the system or logging off fixed the issue and the problem is not related to how the screen configuration is, be it laid flat on the keyboard, or in laptop mode, or what angle the rotation of the screen is.

Another annoying problem is when the system went into standby mode, and I press the power button to wake it up, it won't work, the LEDs show that the system is not in standby mode (the power LED is not blinking) but the screen is completely blank and doesn't seem to respond to key presses or the pen.

Any takers?

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ugh. It sounds as though the machine is stuck "thinking" about something when it wakes up. Do you have any tasks that are running in the background that are eating up resources? Have you installed anything that is always running? You could try disabling any possible stalling apps and see what happens. If you find that this is the issue, simply adding more RAM will most likely solve the problem.

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

Not certain about the pen issue, but with coming out of suspend software is an excellent candidate. If you are running NHC that is the most likely candidate. You can run MSConfig and turn everything off, reboot and see if your suspend problems persist. If they are gone, you can re-enable a few things at a time.

4. zybler

zybler Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh my god I think you just nailed it. I remember the problem started after I installed NHC. So that's most likely the culprit. Still, I would really need to use the software and right now uninstalling it looks like my only choice :mad:

as for the pen issue, reinstalling the system seems to have fixed the issue. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me again...

Thanks guys for your help.

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

Why do you have to use NHC? I tried it out for a while and excepting the obvious problem with standby didn't really notice any huge increase in run time or heat reduction.

If I recall correctly you can use version 1.8 of NHC and it doesn't lock up, but that is just my memory, so take it for what it is worth (not much). Also, something like speedswitch may be an alternative. That doesn't seem to have the same problems.

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Pen Pal - Newbie

I can approve the Standby Problems with NHC.

@ Daring

With NHC i reduced the temperature of my TC4200 from 60 C° to 45-50 C°

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.