tc4200 purchased but,????

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Daring, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariola

Mariola Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    Just joined the forum, but have found it useful during the research phase of this purchase. I looked at the Gateway and decided the weight and noise would never do. Checked out a few others as well, but the tc4200 seemed like the one for me...especially with the outdoor display as part of the deal. I ordered the unit on line with the standard amount of ram and the ordered 2 gigs from Crucial that I will install myself. The install doesn't look to bad. I upgraded the HD to 60 gb with the purchase. I puchased a LaCie drive CD-RW/DVD from Amazon for less than $100. Here's the rub. I ordered the unit on December 30. On January 4 a 60 gb hard drive arrived....that's it....just the HD. I assumed they were going to upgrade the 40 gb standard drive to the 60. The unit is backordered, but will it arrive with a 40gb in it? Will I have to clone the HD? If I do which software should I use (Ghost?) Has anyone else had their order filled this way?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your replies.

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

It is rather odd. Perhaps the HD is pre-loaded with the OS and software and when they ship the unit they will ship it without a HD. Otherwise you would have two HDs, not that having a backup drive would be all bad either.

As far as loading the software, I wouldn't worry. HP ships with restore CDs. Worst case boot off of the restore CDs and it should take you back to a factory image anyway.

Good luck with the 4200. I hope it arrives soon for you. I've loved mine.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What a bizzare way to ship your order. I would call HP sales and find out what the heck they did. You shouldn't have to install the drive yourself on a brand new custom configured machine.

4. Mariola

Mariola Pen Pal - Newbie

OK...here's how it went. The tablet arrived with a 40gb drive in it. Now I've got both. I paid $199 for the 60gb...way too much in my opinion for not even being installed. I called up HP and told them to go fish. They were understanding and did not give me a hassle on the return, RMA number was provided promptly and I will return ship by this weekend. Soooo..does anyone know if the Travelstar 7200 will work in the 4200? ...Question further up....

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

Should work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.