TC4200 Pen lost - Any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Lee, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Lee

Lee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I did a quick search but couldn't find any information.

I recently lost the pen for my HP TC4200 Tablet PC (XP Tablet PC 2005 60g HDD model) and cannot for the life of me get it back. The only trouble is that I don't want to go and spend about £40 ($80) to buy a new HP brand pen and there aern't any in the United Kingdom listed on Ebay.

So I was wondering, is there anyway I can use a cheaper pen from another manufacturer? I believe that the 4200 uses an active digitiser and if so, would this work:
    Digitser Pen

A little off the topic, I've stripped down my tablet pc before but is it possible for me to drop in a more up to date processor given the correct interface standard?

Thanks in advance,
    Lee

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Lee,

The IBM ThinkPad X41 (not Lenovo, the site lists it incorrectly) digitizer pen should work with your tc4200; keep in mind that this pen may not fit in the pen slot/garage. In fact, any digitizer pen that lists that it is Wacom Penabled certified will work.

For processor upgrading, it should be possible, just make sure you're looking for Socket 479 Intel Pentium M processors; Intel Core Duo/Intel Core 2 Duo processors are not compatible with your motherboard. Although this is a different Tablet PC model from a different manufacturer, TabbedOut has posted a nice guide on upgrading the processor, check it out here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. Lee

Lee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much, thats a real help,

So I could just look for pen that works with any Wacom tablet, even if its designed for a peripheral tablet device?

Cheers for the information on the processor upgrading. I'll check out the link as I was hoping to go for about 3ghz. Things run fine as they are and dual cores give nothing extra for gaming but it would be nice for some finer performance.

Thanks again,
    Lee

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi Lee,

Not quite - but you have the general idea, it has to be Wacom Penabled, which means that it is usable across various Tablet PCs that incorporate this particular technology Wacom has. A Wacom Tablet, or an externally attached device by USB or Serial, (like the Intuos, Graphire, Bamboo, etc) stylus pen will not work with a Tablet PC. Thus (sorry for the redundancy), only stylus pens that are Wacom Penabled will work with your tc4200 (or any other Tablet PC that uses Wacom, for that matter). Hope this clears things up. :)

5. Lee

Lee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much for clearing that up, I think I'll end up buying the IBM one and save some money.

Cheers again,

Lee