TC4200 crashing when orientation auto-changes

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by HT88Nuke, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HT88Nuke

HT88Nuke Pen Pal - Newbie

I fully enjoy and get the most out of my Tablet PC at work - meetings, organization tools, etc. However, I am now on my second HP TC4200 and I would like to know if anyone else is having the same problem.

ISSUE = With the Tablet on the docking station, I close the lid and it goes into Standby mode. I remove the tablet and turn it on (still in laptop mode) - it boots up fine. I turn the screen around and lock it down into tablet mode, the System error flashs and the system automatically reboots itself. When the system loads after login, the screen attempts to auto-orient itself to either normal landscape (if the screen is in laptop mode) or sideways portrait (if screen is turned around in tablet mode). Each time it reboots, it tries to re-orient itself, shows the error and reboots. Finally, I am able to get it to stay long enough to disable the orientation setting in the Display driver.

On the first one shipped to me, I had system BSOD crashes and I thought it was a bad graphics chip or memory module, etc. so I got it easily replaced from my vendor. I got the new one and got the same crashing and errors! I currently get past it by turning off the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator for Mobile" screen orientation feature and just don't worry about portrait mode.

I have updated drivers and even opened a ticket with HP Support. I work in the IT support industry so I should be able to figure this out but its not working out. The error flashes too quickly on the screen to see, but the error shows in the System event log (this is one I saved about 2 months ago):

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: System Error
    Event Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003
    Date: 9/14/2005
    Time: 9:26:19 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
    0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
    0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
    0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 37 1000007
    0020: 66 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d f Param
    0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 30 30 eters 00
    0030: 30 30 30 30 30 38 2c 20 000008,
    0038: 38 30 30 34 32 30 30 30 80042000
    0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 , 000000
    0048: 30 30 2c 20 30 30 30 30 00, 0000
    0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

I am thinking that this must be an issue with the Intel graphics driver, HP's Q-Menu software or when it is removed from the docking station and gets confused. Microsoft knowledgebase points to a hardware issue, but since it has happened on two brand new PC's.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am guessing as you surely are that one of those damn harware drivers is conflicting with something else. Luckily since you do this for a living, you are sure to find a "work around". I would first try disabling all the garbage that starts up with windows (disable all in the Windows Configuration Utility), then see what happens. Hopefully you can track it down to one service or running process that you can disable without losing the functionality you need to do something else.

3. HT88Nuke

I previously went through the MSconfig item by item and narrowed it down to the the QMenu setting that sets the orientation and it is something I can live with. I'm just hoping that either Intel or HP come up with a fix. It's still hard to believe that I am the only one experiencing this. It could be that not many people use the docking station - removing and changing between tablet and laptop modes - as much as I do for meetings, etc. I'll just wait to hear from HP/Intel or any other Forum User here. Thanks again for the input.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Glad to hear you at least nailed down the problem. Hopefully there will be other responses to this issue.

5. HT88Nuke

After 7 months, I finally figured out the Hardware conflict that I was having. Because I work in the computer support field, one of the first pieces of software I install is PCAnywhere so that I can connect to other PC's. Un-installing PCAnywhere solved my entire issue posted at the origin of this thread. I indirectly found a Microsoft knowledgebase article that mentioned a 'virtual display driver' that is loaded with PCAnywhere.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293078/en-us

"... This Stop error message may also occur in video adapter drivers that do not represent a physical device. For example, this Stop error message may occur in the virtual video adapter driver that is used by Symantec PCAnywhere. If PCAnywhere is installed on a computer where this error message occurs, visit the Symantec Web site to determine if there are any available fixes for your version of PCAnywhere..."

This is how the PC was crashing and reporting a 'hardware' problem. Now I know why 2 different machines had the same issue when I swapped/returned my first PC and why driver updates didn't fix it either. The error was showing a hardware issue and PCAnywhere was being ignored (by me) as just a piece of software! This software incompatability should be posted in more forums or at least on PCAnyhwere's website so Google can find it faster for the next sorry soul to encounter the errors...

The version of PCAnywhere I had loaded was 10.0 - Does anyone have a later version (11, 11.5) installed and working on the tc4200 so I can know whether I should purchase it and will not have hardware issues anymore? I am also wondering if PCAnywhere could be causing issues on other Tablet models, possibly also using the Intel 915GM Express Chipset???

Anyway, I am now using my tc4200 all day, every day at the office and am having no issues! I also HIGHLY recommend Franklin Covey's TabletPlanner software, it's got me on the 'edge' of organized!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.