TC 4200 and 7200rpm drive?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by bryank, Oct 7, 2005.

1. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

Is it possible to replace the 5400rpm drive of the HP TC4200 with a 7200rpm drive?

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, but you have to do it yourself, that's not a customizable option. You really won't see a huge performance gain though, the tradeoff with teh extra heat might not be worth it, just depends on the use.

3. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

A comment from another forum...

How about this?

It says it only drains the same amount of battery as 5400

Hitachi 7200

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That Hitachi drive is a top choice. Although it incorporates excellent power savings technology, it still may increase the heat inside the thin casing. If you are going to be transfering video and performing HD intensive tasks, then it would be a fair trade off.

BTW, True fact - if the 7200RPM drive would add extra heat, Brian would know. He customized his 3.3 pound Fujitsu P7010 with a 7200RPM drive lol! That thing must boot Windows in like 5 milliseconds. :D

5. bryank

bryank Pen Pal - Newbie

How much extra heat? My 1.7 with 60gig and gig ram fan seems to come one often even when not doing anything intensive. I think the performance would help. this one seems slow. Though just loading software on to it.

Bryan

6. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It really shouldn't impact your fan, but you will feel it under the wrist rest where the HDD lives.

7. bryank

bryank Pen Pal - Newbie

As is currently is it is very hot so I am not sure the 7200 will impact this machine very much. This one seems hotter with the curent drive when compared to my omnibook PIII850 with a 7200. With basic software in the 60 gig is almost half full. So 80 7200 might be on order

Bryan