TC 4200 2.0GHz or 1.86GHz????

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Barry J. Doyle, Sep 15, 2005.

1. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

For all you HPers out there, OK, I've moved away from the Acer C314 towards the HP TC 4200 (I own an Acer 2.0GHz notebook - rock solid but I gotta get me a tablet!)
    From the HP site
    2.0 GHz 512MB 40GB-5400 $1993
    2.0 GHz 512MB 60GB-5400 $2043
    1.86 GHz 512MB 60GB (no 40GB option?) $1849
    My thoughts are to go with the fastest processor 2.0 at $1993 and add third party memory (single 1024 or second 512) and upgrade hard drive later - maybe to 7200rpm. Sound reasonable? The C314 would run $1829 for 1 year warranty and added 2 more years (to equal 3 year HP) would probably bring cost up to around $2079.
    Any problem having 1024+512 as memory for awhile? or should I have a pair of 512s - although one would be third party. Eventually I would like a matched pair of 1024s.
    Hearing very good things about TC4200. This is a big move for me (I will certainly take a big hit selling the Acer notebook since Acer warranty is NOT transferable - Acer wake up, that stinks!!) so I want to do it right!
    Battery power is not a big issue for me since the tablet goes to/from and is seldom away from AC for any length of time. The HP secondary battery sounds nice though.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd get the 1.86, I don't think there's any benefit in getting the faster CPU and I doubt you need much more than 1GB RAM and the 5400 RPM drive should be fine. My point is, don't go getting more and faster just to get more and faster. You're going to get more heat and less battery life. Unless you're doing work where you really need it, I'd scale down instead of up in a Tablet.

3. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

I am considering the TC4200 tablet to be a desktop replacement as well. My reason for starting with the 2.0 is that the processor is not easily replaced (if at all possible) whereas memory and hard drive are upgradeable. Battery life is not an important concern for me as I will seldom be away from an AC outlet for any length of time. I hope to replace my old Dell desktop (actually my wife gets it) with an HP docking port and use the TC4200 as my primary PC.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

MRL,

I am with Brian on this one - be aware that the 2.0GHz is going to start running a bit warm. Also since the TC4200 relies on integrated graphics, you still won't get a full-on desktop replacement out of it. On the bright side, this machine is very solid and was a quick performer for us - even at 1.73GHz (which was on our review model).

5. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

Doesn't the Acer C314 use the same video config as the TC4200? So I would not see any video difference if I went with the C314? The TS4200 is looking better and better. I'm looking for the TC4200 to be my primary PC (my wife will have my Dell so if I needed the Dell for something I could always throw her off).
    I still think, psychologically, I would go with the 2.0 - that way I would not have to look back asking why did I not go with the faster processor? I know - it's not how fast it is, it's how you use it that counts! But I have also heard - faster is better!

6. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

After reading the first impression from Blindell, the Acer C314 is back in for consideration. I guess it comes down to screen size. I need 1024x768 so that is moot as each has that maximum resolution. I guess the Acer will serve me better as a desktop replacement - although I really like the size of the TC4200. Nuts! Why is it always so difficult to make a decision? I know, I'll buy both - yeah right and then hope I can find a cheap divorce attorney.

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL, Just don't tell her you "bought" two. Tell her you are "reviewing" them for a website - that's what I get to do!

8. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

How do I explain the charge on the credit card?

9. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Must have been an accident, LOL.

Just think real hard about what's more important. For me it's portability.

10. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

After reading Blindell's reassuring first impression on the C314 and my own experience with an Acer notebook - the C314 will be my choice.
    A desktop replacement tablet is more important to me than portability. I will not be carrying the tablet around all day.
    Besides, should I really need portability in the future, like in maybe a month or so, I might have a shot at justifying the TC4200 - you think! "After all honey, the Acer is too heavy to carry around all day (not that I have to really carry it around all day!)".
    She knows that PCs are my mistresses (better PCs than the 2-legged variety)!