Taction, A Touch-Centric Art Panel [4.0.0/1.1 Graphical Designer Available]

Discussion in 'Software' started by FlameStream, Oct 1, 2017.

1. FlameStream

FlameStream Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there, thanks for trying out the tool.

The current supported format is png only, so I don't think you will have much trouble there.
    The undo command you are looking for is indeed "CONTROL VK_Z".
    It's possible to do a second column of commands, but it can be a little tricky. The idea would be to create a bunch of pivot items and have two nested button in those pivot containers.

I've worked on a prototype UI designer that can be found at https://flamestream.github.io/taction/

It's not complete, kinda clunky, but I hope to officially make a proper first version available.
    Note that if you do try to load a bundle with things not supported by the designer, the item won't be visible and may be ignored.

If anything, you can start with using that at first and add the advanced components in the json as as you're been doing.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Someone123

Someone123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much, I will give the prototype a try, also I've made a second edit in my previous post right as you posted the reply, so I'll post it again here:

I tried it in an app called Aseprite and when hovering over Taction with the pen, it never fades back in unless i move the pen outside of the app, Taction will also fade out if I touch a tile with my finger, then use my pen anywhere in the app, it's as if Taction think my pen is hovering over itself when it is over the app, that app has gestures support meaning i can move the canvas or zoom with my fingers, that might have to do with it.

To prevent that issue when using the app I have to move my pen outside the app's frame before i use Taction, if the app was the last thing the pen hovered over, Taction seems to just freeze after pressing a tile, I disabled the fade animation and while the fading problem is gone it still behaves the same

I've made a video of the issue, here's what's happening: Drawing on canvas, Taction undo, drawing on canvas again, Taction undo no longer working, touching the pen outside the app, drawing again, Taction undo working.

https://imgur.com/a/jE1Ke

Hope this helps

3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Your work on Taction looks excellent. And thanks for making it open source and hosting it in a stable place. I find it strange that some of the other tools in this space live in forum threads. :-O

But I have a question: Clip Studio Paint has both a command bar and a quick access palette now. Both can be docked, toggled, customized, etc. Does Taction still have a purpose in this context? Is it for the modifier keys?

4. FlameStream

Yeah the quick command menu was a recent addition. Since then, the tool has lost a bit of value for clip studio.
    If the dock was simply used as software commands then it's probably best to use clip studio's as it's pretty great and big enough to be touch friendly.
    The tool's advantage would indeed be used for modifier key access, or "temp tool swap", assuming that their menu does not support it (untested).
    Or maybe bigger buttons for those that really want it haha.

Art_N00b likes this.
  5. FlameStream

Whoops, I missed your message.
    I do not believe that the application's touch support has anything to do with interfering with it since clip does have touch support too.
    I think I've experienced that issue before. I may be wrong, but I believe that it simply resolved itself when I tried to debug it after a system update.
    I have a feeling that the .NET framework can misbehave in some situation that's still unknown to me. Can you let me know if the problem persists after restarting windows?

6. Someone123

Don't worry my posts need to be approved by a moderator so it can take hours for them to appear.

I restarted my surface and there is no difference, it works properly in Photoshop, but not in Aseprite, for now I'll keep on using Toolbar Creator as it has no such issues, let me know if you need me to do further tests.

7. FlameStream

Ah, I can see one situation where all of the issues you described make sense.
    You are possibly running Asesprite in administrator mode.
    To make Taction be able to send commands to it, Taction must also be in admin mode. This will also make the fade out work. Give that a try and let me know.
    If that does fix it, then it would be wise to consider if you really should grant admin privilege to your application, as it is unexpected from my point of view.

8. Someone123

I tried to run Taction as an administrator and that didn't make a difference, there is a free trial of aseprite and it is a small portable application so you might be able to give it a test

https://www.aseprite.org/trial/

9. Art_N00b

Someone123 likes this.
  10. Art_N00b

Can Taction be configured to occupy a portion of the Windows desktop with no overlap with applications? I mean other than manually arranging it.

I'm picturing a vertical sidebar with Ctrl, Alt, etc. and the rest of the display is what's considered available to apps. I think one of the other toolbar creators had this ability.

I skimmed through the config but nothing jumped out at me.