Tactile KB shortcuts with AntiMicro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shogmaster, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Recently, I noticed that the Wacom Expresskey Remote I've been using with my Miix 700 for KB shortcuts without a KB is seemingly causing pen lag. My thinking is that the Wacom Tablet driver which the Expresskey Remote requires, is messing with the built in MS driver. Can't prove it 100%, but after a OS refresh, the lag is gone so...

Anyways, I didn't want to do a software on screen key mapping solution since I hate UI clutter when I draw, plus I wanted something far more tactile. So I came across AntiMicro.

https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro/releases

It's a freeware app designed to map keyboard keys on to gaming controllers. It's very clean and efficient. Doesn't do macros, but you can get around that with button combos. Also recognizes BT controllers. I've ordered one of those phone VR half controllers with BT to travel around with. In the meantime, here is a video with XBox One controller.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. Shogmaster

Follow up with a generic BT remote!

WillAdams likes this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I tried a bunch of things:

- small Bluetooth keyboard
    - Wii Remote
    - Contour Design Shuttlexpress (this was almost perfect, but one key assignment wouldn't work w/ Freehand)

Finally broke down and bought an Azio Levetron Mech 5 gaming keyboard just so I could get the D-Pad (my son enjoys the balance of it) --- need to find more time for drawing, but lately most projects have been a combination of 2D drawing in FreeHand, coding of same drawing in METAPOST, and 3D rendering in OpenSCAD, which necessitates a keyboard.

4. Shogmaster

That sounds like a serious rig. Show us some pictures!

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Shogmaster decided to follow your path, and ordered a few cheap Bluetooth gamepads. Care to describe your mapping to give me a basic idea on how to map mine?

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Not that much to it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(My apologies for the lousy photos)

Anyway, I just assign the half-dozen keys I need for Freehand and plug it in when drawing in that program.