Tablets with no magnets

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by greenfrog, May 6, 2014.

1. greenfrog

greenfrog Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello

My grandad has a heart condition and is fitted with a pacemaker.

Currently he owns an iPad, however this has started to interfere with the pacemaker. Apparently this is due to the internal magnets.

It's a well documented problem on the internet. However I can't seem to find any advice regarding a tablet which either doesn't any Internal magnets, of which has smaller magnets.

I'm wondering if purchasing a small tablet might help - small magnets?

If anyone has any advice or recomendations, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.

Many thanks
    Lee

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Apple built magnets into the iPad to hold the Smart Cover on, and the Microsoft Surface uses them to hold on its stylus, but they aren't that common on other devices. If there's a tablet you're interested in, let us know and we'll help you check to be sure it doesn't employ them.

p.s. Welcome to TPCR, Lee.

3. greenfrog

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your kind offer to help.

My grandad is a fairly experienced PC and iPad user. However, he has no experience of android or Windows 8.
    So I was hoping to discover that the smaller iPads don't use magnets, but that seems unlikely.

Therefore I think he may have to make the shift to Android to avoid magnets.
    I've done a bit of research and the Samsung range seem pretty good devices.
    So as an example, would you know if the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 or 10.1 employs magnet?

I think it's a bit unlikely, but maybe the Dell Venue 8 Pro is magnetless?

Thanks again for your help,
    Lee

4. greenfrog

Hello,

I wondered if anyone has any advice regarding this?
    I'm planning on buying the tablet this weekend.

To be honest, we're wide open so far as recommendations are concerned.
    The only requirement is that there are no magnets!

Any help much appreciated...

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I wondered if anyone has any advice regarding this?..>>

green: Rather than pose an open-ended question like this, I think you need to follow Ed's advice. Take a look (as best you are able) in a local computer store, such as Best Buy, select some models that are in your price range and then come back and ask us about specific models. I think you'll be much more likely to get feedback if you're asking about the Dell Venue 8 (for example) than about "any Android tablet."

PS: While you're at the store, you can probably assess many of the tablets yourself; just carry something made of soft iron (like a key) and see if it sticks to any part of the tablet. Unfortunately, I would bet that many tablets incorporate small magnets for one purpose or another...

Good luck!

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

green: A quick ferrous metal check at my local Best Buy seems to indicate that the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and Galaxy Tab3 do not contain magnets. In addition, the HP Slate 7 also appears to be magnet-free. There was also a Lenovo tablet on display, but it had a magnet installed in the lower edge. For whatever reason, there weren't many other tablets on display today. (At other times, our Best Buy has had a pretty decent cross section of brands and models for buyers to examine.)

Anyway, of this small collection, my recommendation would be the Galaxy 10.1, by a lot.

Hope this helps you with your search...

balistic likes this.
  7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

Sorry, all Apple's have built-in magnets, including the iPad mini and iPad mini Retina.

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

They are probably too small in most cases to matter (SteveS's test seems to indicate this), but doesn't every device with a speaker have magnets?

9. roel@bouwman.net

roel@bouwman.net Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Lee,

Yes, the Venue 8 pro is completely magnetless. It is a bit small though, which is a perfect size for folks like myself, but might be an issue for elderly people, especially while using Desktop applications.

The Venue 11 is larger, but has magnets so is not an option.

As your granddad is an experienced PC user, I'ld think that a Windows tablet is probably the best choice. The Venue 8 pro (consumer model) comes with full MS Office 2013 which most people find very convenient. And there is always the option to use a bluetooth mouse & keyboard and hook it up to an external monitor (Wireless through Miracast using a USB displaylink converter). That will make in into a fully functional "regular" PC.

10. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL Pen Pal - Newbie

1st gen ipads i am pretty sure do not have magnets.