Tablets? What to do?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daring, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuantumXL

QuantumXL Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. I was recently looking up tablet PC's and ran across this site. Now as a senior in a high school I have to buy a Notebook/tablet to go off to College. So what to do? Now since i dont have that much money, so im on a budget of the mere 1000 range lol. now i know not to many note books run at that range so im going to try to be as flexible as i can. I was looking up through this site and i see fujitsu as a highly recommended tablet. But i looked up the price, and lets just say its double what im looking for. Gateway, I havent looked much into this but it seems pretty decent. But what i have been looking at was the R10, you kno the basics, with the 1gig 80 GB DVD+-RW DL ect ect. i havent heard to much and people say they rather take the Fujitsu. So now im confused and i dont know what should i take. Wow i need help lol

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

read my posts. they are numerous. I advocate the Toshiba. A lot. I am also a senior in high school though a part time college student. my r15 works great for me. just something you should know, get the extra memory seperatly. it will be cheaper. and on the r15 you can only get a 60gb hard drive. r10 is basically for customization. r15 is something you buy at bestbuy or another retail place.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The R10 is a fine machine and as a student, you'd probably benefit as much as anyone can from the Tablet PC platform.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

nice choice of words.

5. QuantumXL

QuantumXL Pen Pal - Newbie

R10 is a very nice tablet. I also heard the "Brightscreen" technology from HP is also nice. How is the screen on the toshiba R10/15? is it as nice as compared to the HP's?

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tablets do have an extra layer (writing surface) on the lcd's, so you won't be getting the same extra edge as this "Brightview" technology. But then again you can write on the screen - not a bad trade off!

7. Daring

Daring Moderator

You will be hard pressed to get a tablet that meets your specs at your price point. The R10 that Barry talks about in his article meets your price point, but does not have the DVD burner, RAM, or HD that you want. Upgrading the HD will be about $200, RAM $100, not certain about the DVD but I would guess that from Toshiba about $200. This brings the price to $1500. While the R10 may work out great for you I think it is a bit heavy for my personal tastes, particularly as a tablet.

Your best bet may be to consider used or refurbished. Once you decide on a model there are several reliable eBay sellers and often can get refurbs direct from the manufacturer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.