Tablets/Tablets PC in the lab

Discussion in 'Professions' started by tijo, Oct 29, 2013.

1. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know a lot of the people here are artists, but I'm wondering how many use a tablet PC to take lab notes and sync them directly instead of taking notes. I do and I'd bet on a few of you doing it too. I first got the idea from a research center which I was visiting about two years ago that had techs use Elitebooks 2740p to take lab notes and share them between other centers across the country as well as avoid problems occurring with trying to decipher the handwriting of some technicians.

Also, those of you working in chemistry lab, are you taking particular precautions pertaining to organic solvents?

2. tijo

Since the lawyers were going at it with their tablets, I thought I might as well give scientists some bragging rights. So here is the Q584 in the lab! Having my lab notes on the cloud is invaluable I can always look something up no matter where I am.

Scientists, post your setups (it doesn't have to be a lab btw. I know some of you are running simulations).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Aman, Rodney, bloodycape and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Reminds me of my days distilling ethanol in the chem lab at college and flavoring it with Smith Brothers Wild Cherry cough drops for afternoon c0cktails.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    dceggert likes this.
  4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

And some of us are experimentalists, but our instruments are in orbit or strapped to rockets =P

I've been meaning to post here with my latest setups, but I haven't gotten around to it so as a place holder here is a repost from the http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/tablet-pc-life/60407-share-your-desk-setup-thread.html#post365417 .

My Surface Pro is now replaced with a Fujitsu T904, and the Dell Venue 8 Pro is replaced with a Asus Vivotab Note 8.

View attachment 5919
    View attachment 5918

Top of desk:
    My Surface Pro 1 is on the right opened to OneNote to act as my "note pad", and my Dell Venue 8 pro is propped up under the monitor. The monitor on the left is a 30" U series Dell IPS display at 2560x1600 and on the right is an also a Dell U series IPS at 24" and 1080p.

Under the desk:
    The monitors are connect to my windows work station on the left which has a quad core i7 Ivy Bridge, 16 GB of ram, and a 256GB SSD. To the right is my monster headless Linux server with a 6 core Sandy Bridge Xeon, 64 GB of memory, 512 GB SSD, 26 TB raid array, and at Tesla K20 compute GPU (doesn't have a video output port, it is only for computations).

The Surface acts as my "note pad" and also my "desktop replacement" out of the office. For most of my other "tablet tasks" I tend to use the much smaller V8P. The windows work station is what I use the majority of the time for web browsing, writing papers/presentations, and any desktop task that is better suited for windows than Linux. It is also my RDP server. The Linux server is sitting on a 1 Gb internet connection and is accessed remotely from my windows desktop or my tablets via NX (an internet tolerant wrapper for SSH with X forwarding). The server is my pride and joy and is what allows me to go the thin, light, cold, and quiet route with my tablet selections (my RDP server helps with this to a lesser degree).

This is all used to do science (and post on TPCR, keep up to date on my teams =P)! I read a lot of papers, write papers/presentations/proposals, do analytical calculations and brainstorming on my Surface, and I do a whole load of programming, number crunching and plotting.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think the lesson here is: meso takes his coffee with milk. Very nice setup. A quadruple device approach, and here I am wondering if I should go from a single to a dual device setup. :)

dceggert likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Chocolate flavored Coffee-Mate.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. tijo

I was going to make a lengthy post about how milk ruins an already perfect drink, but if there is chocolate in it, I'll let it pass.

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Black coffee drinker but getting this for the conference room!

tijo likes this.
  10. Mesosphere

Here is my Coffee Shop "lab" setup =)

WP_20140428_002.jpg

The laptop is my Fujitsu T904 (13.3" convertible TabletPC). The tablet laying flat is my Asus Vivotab Note 8".

Even at the coffee shop my servers are with me. Pretty much everything on the screen of the T904 is not running locally. The one exception is OneNote which can be seen in the top left corner of the screen (mostly hidden behind the 2D FFT plot). The same notebook is open simultaneously on my 8" tablet.

That's a venti mocha ... yes I like chocolate in my coffee =P

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015