Tablets: PDF handling and Palm Rejection experiences

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by drvenom, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I don’t intend to make this an Android vs Windows post. I want to express certain aspects of each platform and ask if you guys have any suggestions on how I can improve my user experience in each platform.
    I am a mathematician and an economist so I ink a lot; I get to write equations and proofs all day long . Thus far, I have not found any application that can rival Onenote 2013 when it comes to writing notes and keeping them organized. Hence, it was a natural decision to get a Windows based tablet. In addition, I needed a tablet with a long battery life (8 ~12 hours) so I ended up opting for an atom based tablet.

I purchased the Samsung 500T with the 1.8GHz Z2760 atom processor. This tablet is an awesome dedicated note taking tablet with a few yet significant caveats. Let me get right to those ugly caveats. The palm rejection feature on this tablet is horrible. I can’t ink for more than a minute without having my palm activate something in Onenote. For example, sometimes I’m inking in Onenote and my palm will activate the screen and shift or zoom the page that I am inking on. My solution to this problem was to use shortcuts to enable and disable the touch feature. This works fine if you are just inking, but it is a pain if you need touch in order to read pdf’s or browse the net while you also ink.

The second issue is pdf’s. All of my textbooks are in pdf format and all of the articles that I read are also in pdf format. I don’t know if it is just this Samsung tablet or if it is the atom processor, but reading pdf’s on this tablet is not all that great. Almost every pdf reader stutters on this tablet when I scroll through any given pdf document. I thought adobe reader was the issue, but no, even Foxit reader stutters on this tablet. The only pdf reader that works flawlessly on my tablet is Sumatra reader and the pdf readers in the Windows market, but all of these readers have limited functionality when compared to their desktop counterparts. Do any of you guys (and girls) on atom processors have these issue?

This whole pdf thing was really bothering me so I started looking for a small and inexpensive Android tablet that I might be able to use as a dedicated reader. I ended up trying the Galaxy note 8 and I fell in love with it… Yes, the screen is a bit small for note taking but it is amazing for reading pdf’s and annotating pdfs (I use ezpdf reader). I cannot believe how well this little tablet handles pdfs. I can read all of my pdf’s without any hiccups and if that weren’t enough, the palm rejection on this tablet is also amazing. Truly, the only thing missing on this android tablet to make it an amazing school tablet is Onenote inking. I think I might just ditch my Windows tablet when Android gets Onenote inking.

I know I sound harsh on the Samsung 500T. However, the tablet is great as a dedicated Onenote tablet, but that is about it. This tablet served me great for taking notes all through grad school. I’m just at that point where I want a tablet with great battery life, great pdf experience, and great palm rejection functionality.

In the meantime, I hope to hear what your experiences have been on atom based Windows tablets as far as pdf reading goes and Onenote inking. Are you guys having the same issues as I am? If so, have you found a solution to these issues?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Actually I've been pretty unimpressed with Microsofts efforts in promoting PDF markup. I just don't get it. The Metro API's seem to invariably produce laggy inking on Atom 2 tablets. Oddly Bluebeam PDF Revu works beautifully on all fronts, but for some reason those guys don't seem to understand that fling scrolling might be useful. Quite a few people (including myself) think that PDF Annotator works OK if you leave some space next to the page, which you can use for touch scrolling. But I agree, the Win8 apps are not there yet.

Ah, I see that that's you in the PDF annotations apps thread. So yeah, there's just no perfect solution yet it seems. Did you try the PDF annotator and PDF revu free demo's?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. drvenom

I tried them a few years ago, but I'll try them again. I don't know if you have an atom processor based tablet, but if you do, are you able to scroll smoothly through pdf documents using the desktop version of adobe reader or Foxit reader? Also, what are your thoughts on the palm rejection issue that I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I used all the apps that I list in the other thread on an atom slate (500T). For me most metro apps seem to scroll just fine, but none ink smoothly for me. In OneNote metro I had tons of trouble with palm rejection, but on the desktop version it works great for me, as long as I remember to put my hand down 'pen tip first'. On the desktop I haven't worked with Adobe much for inking, so not sure there. PDF Revu was really remarkably slick on the 500T, but the no-fling scroll kind of ruined it for me. If you can live with that it's a great - if expensive - option.

5. drvenom

I don't think I can always get my hand to land first with the pen tip when I'm in class taking lectures at the speed of light. Maybe Onenote will have a feature where one can disable the touch feature in the paper area. Yea, I saw Revu and you are right, it is an expensive option. Let's see if the next generation Windows tablets improve.

6. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OneNote metro has been significantly better since I moved to Windows 8.1 in terms of pen lag. The Microsoft Reader app on the other hand is just terrible for inking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.