Tablets in the Courtroom.

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Bronsky, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So you would need something in the Asus form factor but with a Broadwell chip and SSD? And this Yeti off course doesn't exist?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I hear you Bronsky...I think this is where pure firepower is critical, and my bet is the SPro 3 will be in your trial case next go round. Unless you bring a second screen, you would still likely need two devices, one for note taking and one for trial prep/doc review/presentation. Another part of the problem is Miracast - frankly I just don't believe it is ready for prime time. Buffered video playback is alright, but anything real time brings it to its knees.

Here's hoping SPro 3 is as good as we all hope it will be.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Come to West Texas old man and experience justice in modern times. We built (actually retrofit a commercial 11 story building) as our court facility - each courtroom has separate 50" monitors for the jury, witness, and judge - some even have extras for spectators. Took years of fighting for it, but is paying off in spades 9no touch screen gear yet - guess that was still on the horizon six years ago when they started the project)

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Federal Courts here have decent technology, but the NJ Superior Courts are still in the stone age. I have had the habit of renting a smart board for trial but would love a 50" or 60" interactive display to present to the jury. I like watching the experts testify at the whiteboard. It is very professorial and the jurors love it. I can only imagine how much more impressive it would be from a fuller function display.

My new battle cry for technology upgrades is going to be that West Texas has it ... it'll drive the local bar crazy.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  5. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe your governor caused you MMC to slow down....

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bronsky

As a follow up to my comments about the M80TA as a trial device, I wanted to make clear that I still love the device as a companion tablet. All of the size, peripherals and power shortcomings I outlined do not present themselves when using the device as a casual note-taker. For that reason, I'm not sure if the S3 I am contemplating purchasing will ever replace the 8" tablet.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Broadwell 8"!! Broadwell 8"!! Broadwell 8"!!

(I'm hoping that if I repeat it enough, someone will make one)

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Here I am concerned about the impact of going too high tech in the Courtroom with a tablet and this California lawyer is touting his use of Google glass for jury selection. Recommended Reading: Google Glass in the courtroom and 'Bill Walsh College Football'.

[​IMG]

I can assure you that wearing Google glasses in front of a jury here on the East Coast would invoke an immediate and visceral reaction. It feeds the jerk-factor.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. Bronsky

Probably in response to the ABA's position on Cloud Computing Cloud Ethics Opinions Around the U.S., and the adoption of the reasonable care standard in New Jersey (Opinion 701), we're starting to see a number of online products for time keeping and trust accounting.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  10. Bronsky

A prosecutor was recently chastised by a New Jersey Appellate Court for using PowerPoint in an inflammatory manner. State v. Rivera. The case makes interesting reading and evidences a palpable bias against the use of technology when advocacy gets close to the edge or goes off the rails.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    JaneL likes this.