Tablets in the Courtroom.

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Bronsky, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The AVN8 finally made it to trial.

[​IMG]

lonaysta likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Was it useful? Did it perform as expected, or even beyond expectations? What about the jury? Or was it a non-jury trial (sorry don't know the term for that)?

3. Bronsky

It was a total fail. All the things that make the M80TA such a great companion device make it a terrible trial device. Its is too small to be seen on your feet, where I spend most my time during trial. It can't really keep up with the pace of trial. It's the first time the atom seemed excruciatingly slow. The lack of ports is crippling. Miracast is not ready for prime tome.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well-timed digitizer breakage?

Edit: now that all the info has been added to the post I look like an idiot..

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Very interesting. My intuitive thought was connecting it to a standalone USB display but that kind of defeats the purpose of the Vivo Tab. Wonder if you could use Google Glass as a connected wireless monitor?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. Bronsky

It might just be a rationale for buying a Surface 3.:D

dstrauss, Mesosphere, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'll be curious to see if we get a premium 8" Broadwell device. I think the $300 dollar chip if nothing else should discourage the cheapo approach.

I wonder though if it was really atom failing you or the eMMC.

8. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was thinking along similar lines but more towards it becoming common practice for environments such as courtrooms to provide screens as part of their setup for the practitioner's device of choice. In much the same way that the microphone is provided, there should be a basic hardware docking solution that provides at least a 19" screen. That way, the big concern of screen real estate is addressed without trying to reach the largest/lightest companion device balance. Make the screen part of a hinged desktop or pop up and it comes into play only when it's needed.

As an aside, I'll admit to an irrational sadness when I read "It was a total fail" :eek:

9. Kumabjorn

Oooh, don't get Bronsky started on the state of tech in the U.S. courtroom. :D

It is, from a European viewpoint, beyond comprehension. He is trying very hard but there are centuries of embedded resistance involved.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

10. Bronsky

You make a very good point. It could very well be the drive. In every application I have used the Bay Trial Atom, it has excelled. Time is incredibly compressed at trial and each moment everyone is standing around waiting for anything is excruciatingly awkward. The M80TA is not up to front line duty. As a companion device it is great. Not so much for trial.