Tablets in the Courtroom.

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Bronsky, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Very unlikely. It would have to be very egregious.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Sort of like delinquency vs felony?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

3. Kumabjorn

Thank you for your patience with me. My only exposure to American justice is through court room dramas and like most everything else out of Hollywood I imagine there is a certain discrepancy to reality. Hence my curiosity.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Actually all American dramas are reality shows... so they are even more unrealistic than fiction.

5. Bronsky

Tangible results! My small practice just audited our use of technology in an effort to see how we can more effectively take advantage of the bar association's recent clear expression of a bias toward paperless practice. It looks like our jurisdiction will be following the federal courts in e-filing and our record keeping requirements have been altered. I have been using tablets for a few years now in my regular practice. I have the only windows unit in my office and I tend to use it with an annotator and office to work on documents while out of the office and to read cases directly off the display, highlighting them on the device.

It appears that I have cut my use of the network printer in my firm by half since our last lease, approximately 4 years ago. I'm sure federal court filing requirements played some part, but I think a large part of that is the decision to download, rather than print cases and annotating them on the tablet. I've also gotten used to drafting and editing my briefs without printing multiple copies. In a 40 or 50 page appellate brief, that is significant. I also tend to assemble appendices electronically as well, saving the endless process of printing a 2 or 3 thousand page appendix three or four times while editing.

It appears that, since moving to a tablet and working on-screen, I have brought down my own copy rate of 90,000 pages per year of B&W and 5,000 per year of color copies to a rate of 42,000 B&W and 1,500 color copies. As a result, our copy machine maintenance figure has been adjusted downward by $150 per month for the first time in this firm's 15 year history, even though my practice has grown over that same period. That's a bottom line saving of $1,100 per year. This figure excludes the extra time spent by staff to create all of that paper and the saving on paper alone (what is the cost of 50,000 pages of paper).

My tablets seem to be paying for themselves.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Mesosphere, Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

How do you get rid of another 30,000 B&W and 1,000 color?

7. Mesosphere

50,000 pages sounds like a lot of staff hours. Would that add up to significantly more than $1,100? On the downside your tablet use may be hurting the unemployment rate =)

8. Bronsky

Nobody was fired.:D I was actually astounded at the figures. Unfortunately, the savings in personnel time are rather meager. A lot of the paper savings occurred because the documents were scanned and not copied (and we saved money on the monthly service fees because they only apply to copies, not scanned documents). Someone still has to prepare them, put them in the network hub and make sure they're scanned. Then, the scanned documents have to be reviewed for accuracy and then, we use Adobe Acrobat XI Pro to provide a "bates" number and individual production identifier on each page. The real time savings is in producing the documents to your adversaries in discovery. We simply copy them onto CD. So, I assume there is some staff savings there, but it is more than made up for the fact that we now scan every piece of paper that comes through the door, to prevent the need to store any paper after a case is closed.

Actually, we made 48,000 less B&W and 3500 less color copies. I do know that I no longer produce site maps (typically in color) for investigations, site visits and other field work. I also tend to prepare for hearings and the like by marking up technical documents, like color site plans or figures reporting data, which are typically in color to provide enough different parameters to graphically report data. Nor do I print infrared aerials to work with them, preferring to handle them electronically. The B&W copies are simply paper that we no longer generate. We are now seriously evaluating the prospect that we can start to redesign our file room, getting rid of a bunch of file cabinets and move all of the copy equipment into there, freeing up some more common and office space. My landlord won't be happy when we tell him we don't need to exercise the option we have for the rest of the floor.;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Mesosphere likes this.
  9. Mesosphere

Dunno about that, maybe you are the reason they cancelled The Office.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

So, in essence you saved even more money since your rent won't increase. Sounds like an argument for a Surface Mini :O