Tablets in the Courtroom.

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Bronsky, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

... you would think. There's not a lot of money for this kind of technology since nobody wants to pay for it and 90% of the proceedings in the courthouse are simple events like landlord tenant, criminal, slip-and-fall or auto accident cases, which don't require such advanced technology. I'm an environmental lawyer and my cases are large enough to justify the expense. The material benefits from such presentation as well. Plus, as an ex-chem major, I tend to take to the technology.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you are arguing an environmental case visual aids ought to be heaven sent, if it's a jury trial. I would assume that a lot of the chemical stuff is something way over most juror's head, but a visual presentation of the damage is something they would grasp. Also, if a large size monitor would help wouldn't it be akin to an arresting officer forgetting to Mirandaize if it wasn't used? It is almost as if the court violated the defendant's right to a fair trial.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Just one little nit-pick...DNLA would only work for multimedia streaming, WiDi or Miracast would be required for static content or markups....

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I thought the Samsung All Share dongle was a DLNA clone and I can show my screen and static content on a TV as well as movies.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. Bronsky

I am waiting for a 60" Surface pro that I can hang on my conference room wall and that I can easily set up in court as a whiteboard and for animation or video presentation (kick stand). I do a lot of aerial photography sequencing to show changing conditions at a site over time. With my Nokia 928 as a presenting remote, I could switch from a Powerpoint outline for the jury to follow to the actual exhibits to be shown while the jury hears the witnesses. Unfortunately, with the pace of technical improvements still far behind the unrecognized demand, I'm not likely to use it in my professional lifespan. Generally, I'm still using the same presentation techniques as 9 years ago, when I added a 48" smartboard to the standard equipment list (which BTW, I learned from my daughter's 3rd grade teacher, not the consultants I had spoken to). Since then, nothing I've been interested in has been cost effective. BTW, the 60" Surface Pro has to sell for > $5,000.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  6. jnjroach

Samsung All Share is a implementation of Wireless HDMI like WiDi and Miracast...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. jnjroach

You can add this and make one....

Perceptive Pixel by Microsoft System Requirements :)

8. Bronsky

9. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Googled All Share. Looks like another "use our cloud" deal. How hard is it to wirelessly handshake to an external monitor? Started looking at WiDi, Miracast, Chromecast, Ruku, etc...

Have Intel WiDi on my Q702 and then I read this in the license:

CONSENT. You agree that Intel may collect and use technical and related information, including but not limited to technical information about your computer, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to you (if any) related to the Software. Intel may use this information, and in the event of a Software program vulnerability, error or crash, may share it with other persons such as the supplier of such program, as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify you, to improve our products or to provide services or technologies to you.

REALLY?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. jnjroach

This is why I like using Windows 8.1 as it doesn't need any third party software to use WiDi or Miracast...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015