Tablets and Lightroom/Photoshop; not useable?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by gordoncahill, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tablet noob

tablet noob Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Recently got a t5010 and trying to work out the kinks. Well I can't be the only person to have run into this one.

Lightroom and Photoshop (cs3 for me) both run fine and are useable. They are not useable however if you try to use the pen in desktop or tablet mode. The cursor we normally have for the pen (a little star for lack of better description) simply doesn't show up and instead a normal 'arrow' shows up - unfortunately, for some reason, it is about 1.5-2 inches away from where you are pointing the pen at the screen. It will re-align only up in the top left or top right corner for me - with an odd flicker between the star and the arrow like the computer is confused. It will not allow the arrow to go more than halfway down the screen either as by then the pen is no longer pointing at the screen due to the arrow being so much higher up than where the pen is pointing.

I would attach a picture but its not hard to visualize - a hand holding the pen in the middle of the screen with an arrow above it and a bit to the left by 1.5 inches give or take. This is quite annoying as one of the main uses I envisioned for the tablet was using LR and PS in tablet mode and using the pen as a brush/selector tool. Well suffice it to say, it is completely not possible at the moment.

The only thing I can think is that LR/PS have a tendency (PS for sure) to change the cursor due to different brushes getting opened. The catch being that the brushes are not lining up with the pen!

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas on resolving it - it seems to be a software thing, not a hardware thing as the pen works properly everywhere else (well it did the same thing for VLC player but that was resolved by using an earlier version and/or Windows Media Player and is not nearly as important as LR/PS).

Please, someone help me figure this out so I can actually use a tablet like a tablet, otherwise to be honest I am not sure when I will ever really use it like a tablet at all.

edit - some clarification.

So in Lightroom, the cursor is 'normal' all along the top bar and even the file/edit/library/photo etc dropdown selectors. As soon as you go lower than that though, it wants to change to an arrow and then it the arrow is an inch to the left (or so) on the top. Move it lower and you just get farther away. I have even had it result in that effect staying after leaving LR meaning you can only use the touchpad as moving the pen near the screen would not get rid of the arrow (and its offset). Normally putting the pen near the screen kills the arrow and replaces it with the small star pointer.

For Photoshop, at no point does the star cursor show up when you use the pen near the screen. The only time the pen and arrow line up is at the top lefthand corner of the screen. Other than at that point, its all too far left and above depending on how far lower you move the pen; ending at about the middle with the pen at the very bottom of the screen.

Very odd. I am praying its a software issue. I saw someone mention penflicks being the cause so disabled them to no avail.

edit edit...

Here is a youtube link of the phenomena. I did this after getting out of LR and the effect had carried over. Sorry for the poor quality but since the effect stood out better vs the desktop I used this. You can see (vaguely) that at the top right my pen and the white arrow (which is a smudge due to camera not being able to focus that close) 'follows' the pen across but gets increasingly farther away. By the end you will see my pen is way down in the bottom right corner but the arrow is up in the middle of the screen 1 inch or so off from the right hand edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyvP5DdCwY

2. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Photoshop CS4 on the T5010 all the time - never had that problem.

Are you using the Wacom drivers for the pen input? Also, for some reason secondary portrait mode doesn't work in Photoshop on the tablet, however the three other modes work just fine.

3. tablet noob

Hi there frog,

I am using whatever drivers came installed with the notebook.

I look under device manager (its using Vista Business by the way) and under 'human interface devices' I can see....

Fujitsu button device
    6 hid compliant device
    virtual keyboard driver
    virtual keyboard interface
    virtual media keys
    wacom penabled minidriver
    wacom virtual hid driver

So it looks to me like I am using the wacom drivers for the pen input.

Its odd, the pen works for most things - but LR and Photoshop and VLC don't like it at all. I don't care about vlc but dang if LR and PS are not the two most important applications I have on the notebook!

edit - well, at least ms paint works perfect (insert rolling eyes emoticon here).

4. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the driver you need:

http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/driver.cfm

Also - before installing, remove all other instances of the pen tablet driver, and then install this one before you reboot.

Hope that helps. It's definitely a software issue, your Tablet PC should work perfectly in Photoshop.

5. tablet noob

Yup, I stumbled across that and was thinking it was going to be my next step. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem if the pen works everywhere else (writing, checking boxes, mspaint). The only thing I wonder about that one is that it looks a couple months older than the one that is on the computer currently. Regardless, I am going to try it shortly and am crossing my fingers.

Will let ya know!

6. tablet noob

Hmmm, before I do this, do I uninstall just the wacom penabled minidriver or also the wacom virtual hid driver (which is just underneath it)?

7. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Both I believe.

8. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

This should be solvable. I've used both LR and Photoshop on at least 4 different tablet models. None have had issues like yours. If you have a BT or wireless mouse attached it needs to be removed in tablet mode or it can confuse things.

Gordon

9. tablet noob

I have no mouse attached at all, just the touchpad (which I can't remove hehe). I am going to try it today, a bit nervous, I hate drivers and never seem to have much luck with them. Crossing my fingers - I managed to get the wireless network working last night so I didn't want to flunk at this before going to be so put it off until today.

10. tablet noob

Hmmm, there is the wacom penabled minidriver, the virtual hid driver but there is also, under 'program and features' a "pen tablet" program; at least I think its a program.

So, debating my approach - being scared that if I screw up the order things will be even worse.

This pen driver faq here (http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/readme.cfm) doesn't actually mention what you are uninstalling !!! before telling you to install the 505-7 version.

Soooo, uninstall the pentablet program? I am looking at the 505-7 part and hoping that it doesn't match the 5/5/09 I see for the program that I already have installed ie that I have a 5/5 or 505 already if you prefer and this is already up to date.

Or, uninstall the hid/penabled minidriver?

Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.