TabletPC users & artists, do you still use your graphic tablets?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by wytn, Jul 28, 2019.

1. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

Random-ish question...

I wonder, for the tabletPC owners & artists here, do you still use your old (or not so old) Wacom graphic tablet? Any old Intuos or more recent one on your desk?

Is there more specific tasks or situations where you use one, if you still do?

Or do your TabletPC devices really replaced any use of a graphic tablet in every case?

Or perhaps it's the mix of TabletPC and Cintiq/Cintiq-like devices that did?

For instance: i know someone who draws illustrations / book illustrations and has started work on a b&w comic/graphic novel using her old Intuos 4. (But space is a constraint too, living in a little sail-boat, i haven't even asked.)

When taking a look at a old art forum i used to often visit in the early 2000s / mid 2000s (an era when no one was advising buying anything else that Wacom for graphic tablets), i saw someone's current (ish?) setup on their site/blog (was doing illustration work in the 2000s from what i remember): only a (Huion) graphic tablet as she says prefering that for "several reason: Space on the desk, Changing habits, Poor arm / shoulder / back posture that results in long-term back health problems, Visual fatigue"

So, i wonder... :)

2. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Cintiq only since about 2002. Tablet PCs have never had the right ergonomics for work-work, and by ergonomics I mean size. For sketching, I use a 1st gen ipad pro and my finger - I never even bother with the pen.

wytn likes this.
  3. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I still use a tablet for, ironically, note-taking of all things, and for medical illustration: XP-Pen Deco. I have used many Cintiqs which included the 12WX, 24HD, 27QHD, Cintiq Pro 32. I have found all to be wanting in some way or another. The 24HD's resolution was too low and Wacom's screen coating was terrible. The 27QHD died after 1 year of use. The 32 inch came with dead pixels and, compared to a 32" NEC photo editing monitor with full Adobe RGB, I was shocked by the low brightness and dull looking Cintiq colours. Also, all the CIntiqs save the 16 and 13 models have irritating fans. They are also huge due to the fat bezels. Wacom's touch implementation seems to be some kind of tech they borrowed from the 1980s: in other words, terrible.

So I gave up. I just use a pro monitor and a pen tablet now.

wytn and Marty like this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

All fair. -Though, there is apparently a firmware fix for the fan on the new Cintiq Pro line. One of our members reported it:

Though, in the comments, it has mixed results, with some people not being helped much, but others quite happy.

One thing about my Dell is that it's silent. No fan. Who needs a fan, anyway? It's a monitor, for goodness sake! Maybe to address all those users who complain about hot screens? (How low does your heat tolerance have to be for that to be an issue?)

Fluffyfurball and YVerloc like this.
  5. YVerloc

I don’t get the need for fans either. Do any 4K tv screens have fans? The digitizer can’t add /that/ much heat

wytn, darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only rational I can see for having Fans is to make the device/screen cooler, since some artists can be hunched over one for hours upon hours daily. I have the old 21ux which I believe doesn't have a fan.....and that thing keeps me well toasty. I usually keep my computer room an ice box....like around 65F.....two hours of using my 21ux, and the room around it feels more like 80F.

That being said.....given Wacoms track record.....I somehow doubt the fans actual mitigate that issue at all.

wytn likes this.
  7. YVerloc

Weird. I used a 21ux all day every day for 13 years and never noticed it got the least bit warm. I guess I just wasn’t paying attention.

8. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you so much for this! Sadly, I returned the Cintiq to B&H Photo the same week I got it. I dunno, my laptop has a 4K display and the 32" NEC monitor is also 4K and both don't get hot. I don't know what Wacom packs into the Cintiqs but, boy, are they bulky and huge. My 32 inch monitor looked tiny next to the 32" Cintiq.