TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Work with Surface Pro)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 12, 2013.

1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

I went with the two button from Fujitsu Amazon.com : Fujitsu Digitizer Pen (1 replacement Stylus) T5000 : Handheld And Pda Styli : Electronics

The Pen for the Surface Pro series should work as well, it's about 30$ from Microsoft store, even cheaper if you're a student.
    Buy Surface Pen - Microsoft Store

Then there's the good ol' Wacom TabletPC Penabled stylus
    Amazon.com : Penabled Tablet Pc Eraser Pen : Tablet Computers : Electronics

Those are all around the 30$ mark, give or take a few dollars. I like the Fujitsu because of the two buttons, but the Surface Pen is pretty nice too imo (changing nibs though requires some filing down from what I understand). The thing about the Surface Pen is it has a clip on it so you can clip it to pockets. Problem with the clip though is that it can become bent out and it vibrates like a tuning fork when this happens which is kinda annoying. Another thing is the button protrudes because that's how it's suppose to magnetize to the Surface Pro, so pen loops with this get more cumbersome, but I haven't had problems yet.

You might see Galaxy Note pens or Lenovo pens that are cheaper on Amazon, but be wary. If you read some of their reviews, these actually might be knock offs because there's a couple reviewers out there that state some of those are not pressure sensitive.

2. romz34

romz34 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Steves, thank for this post, it helps me a lot :) I'll buy the pl900 for my SP1.

I just want to make a suggestion, what about a clear list of all compatible pen for SP in the first post (saying tip size, number of button and eraser). I can help you to list all pen reported in this thread ;)

3. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...what about a clear list of all compatible pen for SP in the first post (saying tip size, number of button and eraser)...>>

romz: I appreciate the offer, but I'm not sure that a list of pens would be very practical over time. First, it would be a long list and the less common entries wouldn't be of much use because of little or no availability. Second, the pen landscape continues to evolve as at least some newer pens appear and pens that were common (even a short time ago) evolve into short supply.

If you think about it, describing the suitable pens generically (Wacom brand, work on (most) past tabletPCs, or have the "UP" / IT Feel designation) is actually a pretty all-inclusive approach.

However, not to discourage ambition, send me your short list of candidates and I'll update the root post with a credit to you...

4. romz34

romz34 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, you're right :)

5. light767

light767 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum so I wanna say a great hi to everyone!

I have sign up because I have a microsoft surface PRO 1 and I would like to use another pen with it I have seen those 3:

1) Wacom Grip Pen (penna di ricambio) | Wacom eStore - Negozio online ufficiale
    Steve S Comments: Not Compatible

2) Wacom Pro Pen | Wacom eStore - Negozio online ufficiale
    Not Compatible

3) the CS-300 Bamboo Stylus feel
    Compatible

4) the CS-3002 Bamboo Stylus feel
    Compatible

Regarding the first 2 models I don't even know if they are compatible with the surface PRO, they look better and they also have the eraser which I really like. Instead the bamboo cost much less but I have a doubt, there are 2 version CS-300 and CS-3002 the last is the same of first but has a shorter nibs, I don't know which one is better.

I would enjoy to buy one of the first model ( if they are compatible ) but I think that I'll finish to take the bamboo as the Grip pen and the Pro pen are too expensive!
    Anyway someone could give me some advices?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  6. Steve S

<<...Regarding the first 2 models I don't even know if they are compatible with the surface PRO...>>

light: The first two pens are not compatible with tabletPCs or the Surface Pro. The last two pens (Bamboo Feel IT) are compatible. Note, however, that they do not feature an eraser function. (I have commented in the post below accordingly)

Please read Post #1 in this discussion thread for a more complete description of compatible pens for your Surface Pro (1).

Good luck...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  7. light767

Yeah I have read the entire thread, I did know that the bamboo style don't have the eraser function. Regarding the difference betwenn CS-300 e CS-3002 any news?

P.S. I have seen that there are many pen but I really don't know which one could be the best choice expecially in keeping the price low ( don't want to spend 100 euro for a pen ). The bamboo would be good I think that the missing eraser is something bad. Do you know an alternative simil to the bamboo but this the eraser function?

8. light767

what about this pen on the surface pro https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/LP170K the description state that there is also the eraser function!

Steve S Comments: In Post #1, "...The Bamboo graphics tablet pens (Capture, Connect, Splash and Create) are NOT compatible..."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  9. Steve S

<<...I have seen that there are many pen but I really don't know which one could be the best choice...>>

...The choice of a pen is as much a personal decision as anything else. My "best choice" is unlikely to be your "best choice"...

<<...Do you know an alternative simil to the bamboo but this the eraser function?..>>

...Ironically, the Surface Pro pen itself is probably one of the best alternatives; has an eraser function and only costs $30US...! Beyond that, I guess I would recommend the MotionComputing LE1600 pen (but I'm not sure what they've been selling for lately...

Good luck...

10. light767

Well it's a shame that the Bamboo graphics tablet pens can't be used as they have the eraser functionality. As far as I have red up now, Bamboo Stylus feel allow a great writing sensation but as it's missing the eraser functionality it's not the perfect choice for me. This MotionComputing LE1600 pen doesn't cost too much...what do you like about that? It's great in handwriting? As far as I have seen it should have the eraser.

11. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A3YEQI

They're pricier than the average $30 pen.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

12. light767

HI Steve S !

Sorry to bother you, could you please tell me how the MotionComputing LE1600 is in confront to the Bamboo Stylus fee regarding hadwriting? I do know that many people state that the Bamboo Stylus fee it's great in hadnwriting, anyway it's missing the eraser functionality which the le LE1600 should have ( I think ).

13. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I really don't know why people need an eraser. I have 2 pens with eraser and have never used it in real life application. They're big and round and I can't really see what I'm erasing. So for fine details I'd never use the eraser end. What's so hard about pressing the eraser button?

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

14. light767

I guess it's all about how someone is used to writing\sketching. Anyway do you know how the le1600 is in confront to the bamboo??

15. Steve S

<<...could you please tell me how the MotionComputing LE1600 is in confront to the Bamboo Stylus fee regarding hadwriting?..>>

...In terms of comfort in the hand, I think that the LE1600 pen is more comfortable. It has a nice diameter and a rubber grip surface. With a hard felt nib, the combination is very nice. Wacom says that the Bamboo Feel IT pen provides superior tracking, but in actual practice, I've seen very little difference in this regard.

On the other hand, the Bamboo pen uses the latest technology (of course) and it has a cap which provides a way to secure the pen in your pocket or case. The lower-priced White and Black pens are lighter than the Carbon, but all of the Bamboo pens have a nice diameter. Since the Bamboo pens use a different nib than the LE1600 pen, you only have the choice of "hard" or "soft." The soft nib is OK, but I think I like the hard felt nib better.

Anyway, that's my opinion, for what it's worth. It's up to you, now.

Again, good luck.

16. light767

first page message state "The Bamboo graphics tablet pens (Capture, Connect, Splash and Create) are NOT compatible. " anyway I haven't been able to determinate if this pen will work with the surface pro as it doesn't have none of that names :

Wacom Bamboo FUN PEN Mouse ( EP-150E-0K-01 ) I think that it's an old model. ( I don't know if link from store can be inserted in the forum so I put it here but if can't be done I ask to a moderator to elimante the link: Amazon.it: Wacom Bamboo FUN PEN Mouse: Informatica ).

17. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Only the Wacom Feel or Wacom PenEnabled Stylus will work on the Surface Pro/Pro 2 (It will have "Feel" or "PenEnabled" in the description). All other Wacom Stylus models will not work.

18. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Dear guys, thinking about getting a feel stylus, kinda tired of my PL900, although it's an amazing stylus!

Also wanted to try the so-called better precision of the feels.

So, is the carbon worth buying? Ive read tons of reviews and probably would use it without the cap. Or the black one with the cap.

Besides weight and size, they are identical right?

Im worried that the carbon without pen cap would be too short. Black seems to have the perfect weight and size with the cap on.

Any suggestions?

19. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use them both with the cap on. Without the cap, both pens are extremely short: even shorter than the Fujitsu T5000.

Have you looked at the Fujitsu as an option. It's got the advantage of two buttons and an eraser, though it's small and too light for my taste?

There's also the Motion Computing pen, which I like a lot. Sizing up the Motion Computing digitizer pen â&#8364;&#8221; Surface Pro Artist

20. Steve S