TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Surface Pro & Pro2 Only)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 12, 2013.

1. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

2. kraize

kraize Scribbler - Standard Member

What I meant to say was that when you calibrate it, the cursor will be at the place where you touched the stylus on the screen and not the tip. It will NEVER be the tip unless you calibrate it at the tip. The calibration is done at the angle and at the point of the stylus where you touch it. If you use the side of the tip, then at that certain angle, it will write under that. If you calibrate it perfectly perpendicular, then the point will be at the tip. This is the best way I've found to avoid this, because this is a stylus, not a real pencil or pen. It doesn't write from the tip unless you tell it to.

This is what I meant when I said it would be nice if you could set multiple calibration profiles. That way, one could be handwriting mode that comes from the tip, and the other could be cursor/navigation mode that writes and detects the pen from the angle you're holding it at.

3. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

The tablet actually has no idea where the pen tip is. All it knows is where the sensor is, and that's about a quarter inch up into the pen itself.

To illustrate this, keep the pen tip still, and then tilt the pen from fully left to fully right. You will see the cursor tuck under the pen itself, because it only sees that imbedded sensor and not the pen tip.

So for this particular hardware, there's really no avoiding cursor offset, especially if you tilt the pen differently in different usage scenarios. Different calibration profiles might help, but also would add a lot of complexity for the user. :/

I imagine if you had access to pen tilt (which only the cintiqs and intuos do), you could program the pen to look for the tilt and angle value, and then calculate the actual pen tip location using that data. Not sure how much processor juice that would eat up, but in theory it's a possible fix for this cursor offset problem.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Exactly. The relationship between the location of sensor and the location of the pen tip changes all the time, because the relationship between the positions of the tablet and of your body (arm, eyes, etc) aren't locked. I used to calibrate every time I changed locations (e.g., from desk in classroom to lapdesk on couch), because the positions/angles would change enough to make the calibration difference noticeable.

Calibration profiles aside, what I always do is look at where the cursor is, never at where the pen tip is. The pen is a mouse that you can hold like a pen (and has pressure sensitivity). You never look at the absolute position of the mouse, right? Try to bring a little of that attitude to the pen, although obviously it's right there so you actually have to work on blinding yourself. But once you get used to it, the pen becomes much easier to use.

Like others using the Surface Pro, I've found that the tip-to-cursor distance is greatest around the edges of the display, exactly where your menus and window widgets are, small targets (I run at 100% DPI scaling) that you must hit with great accuracy. I hit those successfully only by focusing on the cursor, and completely ignoring the pen tip.

5. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder how far away the sensor in this product combination is from the actual digitizer?

Wacom | Cintiq 13HD

Oh well, not really relevant - but makes for something to ponder; the accuracy of new tools, I mean.

6. Frost

Frost Pen Pal - Newbie

So I seem to have misplaced my stylus (see: I left it on my desk while I was typing/charging my Surface Pro and some jackass took it). Should I go for the $35 replacement or buy one of these alternatives? If the latter, what do you suggest?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Should I go for the $35 replacement or buy one of these alternatives?..>>

Frost: I think you can go either way, but I would recommend that you simply buy a replacement Pro pen (because they are readily available).

8. creedcube

creedcube Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys. Do Samsung Series 7 pen have 2 side btns or only one? I need smthg with 2 btns.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Do Samsung Series 7 pen have 2 side btns or only one?..>>

...One button plus eraser cap.

If you can find it, the Axiotron pen has two buttons plus an eraser cap...

10. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

The "SAMSUNG AA-DP0NE2B" does not have 2 buttons. It has one button and one eraser tip. :)

Edit: Seriously, Steve? Darn you!! :p