TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Surface Pro & Pro2 Only)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I have forgotten where Steve S suggested using hard felt nibs...>>

...It may have been Post #19 in this discussion thread; the relevant content was:

"...Got the trusty micrometer out this afternoon and made a few measurements:
    <> Bamboo Feel white Hard Plastic nib: 0.0632"
    <> Bamboo Feel black Rubber-Tip (?) nib: 0.0625"
    <> Surface Pro blue Hard Plastic nib: 0.0625"

<> Wacom black Hard Felt nib: 0.0690"
    <> Wacom gray Stroke (spring) nib: 0.0675"
    <> Wacom white Hard Plastic nib: 0.0690"

So the older, "traditional" Wacom nibs are significantly larger in diameter than the newer, "Feel" style nibs; this means that the traditional nibs will not fit the new Feel pens (also the Surface Pro pen). The good news here is that the Bamboo Feel nibs fit the Surface Pro pen and so in addition to replacement hard plastic nibs, you also have the alternate choice of the rubber-tipped Feel nibs. I'm test driving one now in my Pro pen, and on the Incipio Screen Protector, the feel is pretty nice
    ..."

<<...they were the Bamboo Feel IT nibs that would fit the Surface Pen. Is that right?..>>

...As noted above, that is correct.

<<...is Wacom the place to get them, or would another vendor be preferable?..>>

...Good question! I would normally go to the OEM for replacement parts, but Wacom seems to be unusually flaky about keeping their nibs in stock. The current URL for nibs at the Wacom store is
    https://us-store.wacom.com/Catalog/Accessories/nibs and, in particular, the "soft" Feel IT nibs (ACK20603 in black) appear to be at https://us-store.wacom.com/Catalog/Accessories/Nibs/Soft-Nibs-for-Bamboo-Stylus-feel-black , which would be great except that they show "Out of Stock!" And, unfortunately, this is not uncommon for Wacom. Note that a version in white is also available (ACK20604).

AND... if that weren't frustrating enough, Wacom's "Bamboo" naming convention, which they apply to several products that are mutually incompatible, makes it really difficult to determine exactly which nib you need to order!

So, my advice is to keep an eye on the Wacom store in the hope that the nibs come back into stock before global warming gets us all. In the meantime, check retail sites like Amazon and auction sites like eBay to see if the nibs may be available there...

And good luck!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Galaxy Note 7 styluses and replacement nibs can still be snagged on eBay - you ought to give those little sticks a try - that tiny/narrow nib was a joy for writing on that screen. They should work with the SP and SP2.

I once stuffed a S-Pen in a Cross felt pen body and it made a heck of a writing instrument for longer sessions on my ThinkPad Tablet 2.

3. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

The main difference is the eraser part:
    UP-817E's eraser is pressure sensitive
    [​IMG]

UP-818E's eraser has a hole on it and it's not pressure sensitive (it doesn't have the spring behind the eraser, so it seems to be just on/off like mouse click. But I'm not 100% sure about it, since as a note-taker, pressure sensitivity in eraser is useless to me, so I haven't tried the pressure curve of eraser):
    [​IMG]

BTW: Just got my UP-818E today. It's still available at Wacom Australia official store, for AU$87 including shipping, whereas UP-817E is available at Wacom Europe official store for ~66 euro including shipping (but they don't ship to UK, not sure why, however, there are many retailer shipping this to UK). None of them seem to be available in US/Canada (unless you pay for international shipping at some websites). I like the concave grip of UP-817E/818E, and it doesn't have the rubber grip like the Axiontron UP-911E, which is really a magnet of dust and dirt, and may have leakage of liquid in summer.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  4. negative1

negative1 Scribbler - Standard Member

kvoram, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Couldn't live with the battery life. But I guess you can just add the battery type cover. They must be inexpensive by now on FleeBay.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Price would be better, but it would nearly weigh as much as my Surface Book.

7. negative1

negative1 Scribbler - Standard Member

i'm getting on right now for $25, which suits me fine.

The weight is not an issue, as i use it 95% with a dock.

later