TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Surface Pro & Pro2 Only)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. _gl

_gl Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you're right, I played with it more and actually pressure does not kick in before the click threshold after all. I mean the click pressure isn't dangerous now that I'm used to it, but it slows you down massively. With hover-click and 2 buttons I can double and right-click without having to hit the threshold. But yeah, not ideal.

Thanks for the thread link, will read tomorrow. I found a calibration curve utility, but I'm not sure if it works yet: http://www.lab.envirex.cz/?page_id=3

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Weird experience I'm having:

Just purchased a Toshiba Portege Z20t and have been having calibration issues. The included Toshiba pen has fantastic accuracy but the nibs are far too slippery and the pen is too fat.

I much prefer the T5000 + felt nibs. Problem is, using the calibration with additional points near the edges is near impossible with this pen. When trying to calibrate on the left side of the tablet, the offset is too far to the right that it won't even register when touching the bullseye. I have to offset my press to the left to get it to even register.

Messes up the calibration for the left side of the tablet.

4. _gl

_gl Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick update, I finally got a Fujitsu Lifebook T5.../T7... stylus for my Surface Pro 2, as I really wanted two buttons. They are common and affordable on Ebay US, I lucked out and got cheap shipping to the UK on a used one. Works well. The latest Wacom Feel drivers fully support both buttons like their desktop graphics tablets do.

The sellers mark them for various 'T' models, just look carefully at the pictures - note it's black, as is the rocker which is curved symmetrically. Also note the string loop shape at the top (the single-button ones look different).

s-l1600[1].jpg $_57[1].JPG

EDIT: eg. this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181938637447

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  5. Svetluna

Svetluna Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys! I've read the main topic and have a question. I have Lenovo yoga p40 and wanna buy another maybe a better one compatible pen. What pens could you advise? I'd like to find one with tilt sensitivity but don't know if it's possible...

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You need to look at Wacom Active ES pens. Besides the Lenovo Thinkpad Pro Pen, you should also consider the Toshiba DynaPad TruPen.

7. Steve S

As SurfaceProArtist points out, your Yoga pen uses Wacom's AES technology. Go to:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...0-tablets-and-convertibles-with-stylus.67533/

In Post #1, any tablet that is noted to use Wacom AES should have a pen that is compatible with your Yoga. Unfortunately, I don't think that these pens offer tilt sensitivity.

In addition, you might visit SurfaceProArtist's website ( www.surfaceproartist.com ) as he occasionally reviews new hardware. He may have comments about other AES pens besides the DynaPad TruPen...

Good luck.

8. Michael S

Michael S Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, all! Newb here. I recently bought a second MS Surface Pro 2, which naturally didn't come with an OEM stylus. Microsoft is no longer selling refurbs (stopped selling new ones a while ago), and used ones on Ebay are unjustifiably expensive. Based on this thread, I searched and found a NIB UP814E (2-buttons, eraser, 5 extra nibs, and tool) for $9. Seems to work well, but a bit "light".

I wanted you to know that I really appreciate this site and this thread. You guys are knowledgeable, and Steve S is particularly appreciated. This thread is somewhat dated, so I was wondering if there are any new or better options today.

Bravo...take a bow...

9. Steve S

<<...I was wondering if there are any new or better options today...>>

At the moment, I don't think so. Since the time that this discussion thread was started, the tablet world has been evolving away from the legacy (now called EMR) Wacom pen technology to a variety of newer technologies (N-trig, AES, Atmel, Synaptics and others!). Although new EMR tablets (and the pens that go with them) still occasionally appear, this product area is otherwise largely dormant. The pens described in the root post are still among the better replacement pens for folks such as yourself...

If you are interested in one likely future direction of pen technology, see:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/usi-universal-stylus-initiative.67668/

10. Michael S

Michael S Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I have read all 31 pages of this thread, I have forgotten where Steve S suggested using hard felt nibs. IIRC, they were the Bamboo Feel IT nibs that would fit the Surface Pen. Is that right? Also, is Wacom the place to get them, or would another vendor be preferable?

BTW, I have been keeping my eye out for a Surface Pen for my second Surface Pro 2. I just came across one that was "Used-Like New" for under $40 delivered in the U.S. It took some effort and patience, but for those who really want an OEM stylus, there are still some at reasonable prices.

One more thing... I bought a refurbed Surface Pro 2, 8GB/256GB, Win 8.1, from A4C for about $300 delivered, during a 1-day sale.. It was almost indistinguishable from new, and came with a new Microsoft charger and cords. I highly recommend them. Of course, it did not come with a stylus.

Thanks again, all!