TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Surface Pro & Pro2 Only)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

You would need the Wacom Bamboo Feel to work with the Surface Pro 1 or 2, the one you a referring to works on the Bamboo External Tablet. All Surface Pro devices came with the Pen, if you bought used I would ask the buyer for the pen. Also any Wacom Penabled Stylus would work (from the legacy Tablet PCs).

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. Unreal-Forever

Unreal-Forever Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much jnjroach, and yes, so I assumed, unfortunately I had to make many efforts to acquire the Surface Pro, in my country do not sell (neither the shops neither by private way), I had to buy this used, but this in very good condition, not enough money to buy me a new one, and the only shipping method which I really was eligible lifted the price.
    I've been looking for a lot of information about the system using these stylus and Microsoft site does not talk about these, only mentioned on compatibility, but never explains why one does not work with another.
    Not so if you want on the site of Microsoft mentions if it uses EMR.
    I guess we both (Wacom and Microsoft) use EMR, if so what is it that makes one not serve with the other ?.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Surface Pro and Pro 2 uses a Wacom Feel Digitizer, the Bamboo you have uses a similar technology that is incompatiblee with the Surface

4. Unreal-Forever

ok, understood, thanks again :)

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...ok, understood...>>

Unreal: If you have not already done so, please read Post #1 in this discussion thread.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Maybe the title should be edited so it doesn't confuse people looking for a compatible Wacom pen for a Surface Pro 3? I know they don't exist, but I'm not sure that is widespread common knowledge.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

7. Unreal-Forever

Hi! ;)
    Yes I've read, but as the beginning of the post is the year 2013 (two years ago) may at that time anyone has managed to create some new alternatives, do not know, a driver that may make new compatibilities, many times product developers only create compatibility with that only they want, and others create drivers to increase the range of compatibility with other equipment, such was the case of "kinect" who had become exclusive to Xbox 360 and a user created a driver that this made compatible with the PC, I do not doubt that the same will happen with Wacom products.
    If both pens (for Wacom Bamboo and Surface Pro 1 -2) used at the end EMR, which is what creates the incompatibility ?, for example, four days ago I was able to get my hands on another Wacom different model to that I have, mine is a CTL-470 and the friend I had in my hands is a Intuos CTL-480, both pens digitally with the same identifier (0x4022) which allow use in any of these tablets, I do not know if someone might have succeeded in creating a controller capable of varying the identification of these devices creating new compatibilities.
    I have just a few days looking for information on this, but I have not found anything :(
    Wacom control.jpg

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Yes I've read, but as the beginning of the post is the year 2013 (two years ago)...>>

...Post #1 was reviewed and updated as recently as yesterday. Before that, it was updated in March of this year. And no, there are no "new compatibilities"...

9. Unreal-Forever

ok, Thanks for clarifying.;)

10. _gl

_gl Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought a used Surface Pro 2 (my first pen-enabled tablet) but the seller forgot to ship the pen, so while I'm waiting for that to arrive & researching compatibles I found this thread (thanks Steve!). Then I remembered I have an ancient Wacom Artpad 2, my first desktop Wacom tablet that was still using a serial port (I've been using them instead of a mouse ever since). I just dug out its pen (slim & white, pressure sensitive tip & eraser, with 2 buttons) - to my shock, it fully works!

[​IMG] (not my pic)

It tracked straight away, but the buttons didn't seem to do anything useful (though I may not have been pressing hard enough or configured them right) so I installed the latest Wacom Feel drivers and enabled its 2 buttons mode & hover-click. Everything works perfectly just like my desktop Intuous 4.

The only issue is that I have to press quite hard for the tip click to activate. On some Wacom desktop drivers you can adjust the click threshold, IIRC there's a hack to do that for drivers whose GUIs don't expose it. The click pressure may be normal (never used a Wacom tablet pen before, will know when the SP2 pen arrives) but I don't like pressing that hard on the glass + I prefer a light touch anyway. It could be due to the age of the pen, although the pressure sensitivity is smooth in Fresh Paint, and the lowest levels require less pressure, so a threshold hack (if possible) should work.

So I guess Wacom simply recycled their earliest desktop pen tech for tablets (maybe partly because they had very slim pens back then?) - but I never expected compatibility with such an old pen. Cool.

Anybody know how to hack the click pressure threshold on Wacom Feel drivers?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015