Tablet - Yes or No ?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

I was actually referring to the averatec ultraportable "regular" laptop. Just meant that when looking at "regular" ultraportables you already pay a price premium and already sacrifice discrete graphics solutions. So tablet pc's when compared to this ultraportable segment of the "regular" laptop market is not really a compromise. Since you get pretty much all the hardware you'd get from a "regular" laptop and the price premium is relatively less.

As for Averatec's and I guess all laptops in general . . . you get what you pay for. Though as a general rule avoid Averatec's like the plague, unless you only need a "beater" laptop that will last you no more than a year.

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

toshiba is in my opinion a fair product vs price. not too expensive but you get your money's worth.

3. Dustin

Dustin Pen Pal - Newbie

Aside from the basics like being able to wright on the screen tablets just look cool. Most likely people around you will just gawk at your tablet all day instead of paying attention to the board.

It feels really good :)

4. Casse

Casse Pen Pal - Newbie

I should have begun this with what I intend to use the tablet/notebook for as that may be the "killer" of this whole topic.

It will be used for both work/personal use so not only will I be using it for note taking I will also be using it to work on large spreadsheets, tax/accounting software, and power point presentations, and playing DVDs.

I will not be gaming with this machine (solitare at the most).

So did the whole accounting work portion of the use "kill" the idea of a tablet? Will I have to go with a notebook?

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!!

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

Accounting apps will work fine, any convertible tablet will work just as well as a notebook. However unless you plan on using the annotation capability (for your notes) there really isn't a compelling need for a tablet. Tablets are just notebooks with the ability to write on the screen. In most other ways they are equal. Most notebooks don't have really high end video either, however since there is a much larger audience for notebooks there is a better selection, so finding one that fits your budget/needs is easier.

That said, I'll still recommend a tablet if you can afford one. Based on your needs the T4020 by Fujitsu may be a good choice. Any tablet will work, but you will need to decide on the weight issue as well as screen size vs battery life. Decide which is most important to you then read the reviews on this site.

6. kingjimmi

For my money, I'd get the Thinkpad X41. Even though it's owned by Lenovo now, Lenovo has been partnered w/ IBM for years in the manufacture of notebooks, so the quality should remain the same. Only differences will be pricing schemes and purchase options.

And no, doing spreadsheet stuff on a convertible will be exactly the same as doing it on a notebook. Just don't bother with the pen interface while doing excel work as a mouse and a keyboard will be a lot more efficient. I guess you could use the pen as a mouse, but I could imagine that getting kinda tiring after a little while. Having to pick up the pen and use it to move around in the spreadsheet then putting it down to type. Then picking it up again to scroll around . . . ad nauseum.

7. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

but the ibm does not hve an optical drive. he said something about dvds

as for accounting I do my finances fine on my r15. like I said, it is a complete desktop replacement for me.

And as for gateway having the best graphics, not true. Toshiba is experiencing some supply problems but before that they had the best. Also the gateway is over 7lb and has a VERY uncomfortable handle to it

8. kingjimmi

Dante, supply problems? Look at all the notebooks out in the world that use the 6600 part. Look at all the notebooks out there that use GDDR for their graphics memory. None of them are having supply issues. It's an engineering problem pure and simple Dante. Nothing to do with supply. I believe it's a quality issue. Toshiba, which does generally engineer good laptops, does not want to push a product out the door that has serious heat issues.

As for the DVD thing, yeah. IBM doesn't have an internal optical drive. Oh well, you shave half a pound off of the weight of the machine. Half a pound Dante. Isn't that a critical amount of weight for you? Buy an external DVD R/W drive for around $40. Then you can copy the DVD directly onto your hard drive and then use Daemon tools to mount it. Sure, it takes up ~5gigs of space, but oh well. You can always rip the DVD's into avi's or somesuch. Of course this encoding takes a hell of a long time. . . much faster to just dl them w/ bittorrent.

Yes, this is a tradeoff. If you want an optical drive . . . the fujitsu 4000 series or the M200 from toshiba are pretty nice at a low weight.

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

Two things.

1. I have to agree with kingjimmi here dante, Gateway 6.9 lbs, M4 6.4 lbs. If weight is an issue neither of these machines should make the list.
    2. The M200 uses an external DVD drive. So if light weight and an internal DVD drive are required, go for the Fujitsu. If you want to play a DVD either get an external drive or rip the dvd to divx (there are several programs that will do this). The final file is generally < 600M for decent quality. 10 Movies on the LT 6G and nothing to carry. Save yourself another .5 lbs in not carrying DVDs too.

10. Thomas.k

Thomas.k Pen Pal - Newbie

Casse,

Go for the tablet, I miss one when I was a student, for anotation purposes. And I still miss one when I go to a meeting, for anotation purposes. Still miss one when I want to read Manga (japanese comics) downloaded from the internet ( for you may be a e-book). And I still miss wen I want to navigate on the net in my living room or my bedroom without a damn mouse on my side!

Note: I don't own a tablet, but I'm buying one next week.

If is DVD, I would recommend widescreen format... but in general, on a notebook, who watches DVD is just one person, so I don't think you need this feature.

For spreadsheets, a widescreen or a big screen will be good, but it will sacrifice your weight ( take a book of more of 6 lbs everywhere is unacceptable).

I think you can go with Fujitsu if you can live with a 12 inch screen, that's my advice too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.