Tablet without a keyboard?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by deepakvrao, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepakvrao

deepakvrao Pen Pal - Newbie

Newbie here, and am undecided between the Surface 3 [maybe wait for the Surface 4?] and the Lenovo MIIX 700.

Use is mainly for travel. Question is whether I can use these entirely without a KB? Can I dump the keyboard in my check in luggage and use it as a tablet on flight? Do you get an on screen keyboard like phones?

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yup. Although the on-screen keyboard has no swipe options, it's pretty barebones.

deepakvrao likes this.
  3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Been using the on-screen keyboard on my tablet as my primary input device for a few years, and it works very well for us few-finger typists. :)

Do note that there also are a bunch of small, portable keyboards out there, which you also might want to consider. A fave of mine, a tri-fold Bluetooth keyboard with carrying case, well-constructed (note that many different sellers sell this keyboard, often putting their own emblem on it--apart from, very occasionally, some small differences, they are the same): http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Key...71&sr=8-6&keywords=trifold+bluetooth+keyboard

deepakvrao likes this.
  4. deepakvrao

deepakvrao Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope, it supports Windows just fine. I'm not sure what you were reading that indicates otherwise, but the description notes Windows compatibility a bunch of times. (Perhaps you were reading of the keyboard's non-compatibility with the separate Windows phone OS?)

The other keyboard you note seems fine, but for portability, there's the size factor.

The only (issue) with the tri-fold keyboard I had linked to is that the hinges that fold it open do not lock, and so the keyboard is best used on a flat-like surface. If you try to use the keyboard in your lap/across your knees, the keyboard can fold in again if your knees are too far apart or you type heavily--although I've still used the keyboard this way, with a light touch.

And if you'd prefer a full-sized keyboard version (as big as a laptop keyboard, and with separate f-keys and special function keys) of the tri-fold keyboard, there's a version of that as well, which also folds in from each side. http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Full..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=02TWBXCGFPPQ8AH71CPJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.