Tablet With Pen For Drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ClaudiaP, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaudiaP

ClaudiaP Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Pitiful lol but as close to $1000 as possible or under (dreaming I know).

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

If it came with a decent warranty

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?

Not sure

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    Large ~ 13.3"

Compact or Mainstream

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?

US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

As much as reasonably possible.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing, web surfing, some email. wifi essential. Some photo processing.

I have a powerful workstation with an Intuous 4 that I do most of my artwork on, I am looking for a tablet to compliment this and use instead of a sketchpad and pencils when I go outside or on a trip.

9. Do you have an OS preference?

Windows 7 pre-installed

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Photoshop CS5, ArtRage Studio Pro, Painter 11

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Nothing major

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?

Not Sure

XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?

Not sure

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)

It would be nice but not essential

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)

This is a MUST and it has to work well in Photoshop CS5, ArtRage Studio Pro, Painter 11 would be nice as well but I could deal with it working in at least CS5.
    Wacom since N-Trig seems to have a problem with CS5

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?

As large as possible within reason. Preferably 4 gb but upgradable to 4 gb would work.

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?

No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

Not sure.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I have spent several days reading this site, Thank you very much for all of this wonderful information.
    I have searched and searched for a list of tablet pc's that use the Wacom digitizer. I realize the changing market for tablets makes this difficult, but it would be so helpful.

TIA
    Claudia

2. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

Check-up on the condition of N-trig and pressure sensativity, as there were issues, but it may have been solved. If so look on the Dell website for a re-manufactured XT2 with the DLV (daylight viewable) screen. Sounds like it's what you'd want, and is in your budget. Make sure you'll be ok with N-Trig over Wacom though.

3. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

There are pretty much three core models on the market that can fit the bill.
    Lenovo X200t
    Fujitsu T4410
    HP 2730p
    These are the prior versions of the three models discussed in the thread HP 2740p vs Fujitsu t730 vs Lenovo x201 a users perspective and many others. They represent the most capable and common models out right now.

All three are convertible form-factor with a Wacom digitizer, 12.1" screens that have outdoor upgrades available, Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs, and are commonly found on the second-hand market.

If there are any other specifics you're wondering about feel free to ask!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. ClaudiaP

Thank you, I don't know how to find out if I'd be ok with a newer N-Trig digitizer. I live too far from anyplace that has them available for me to try out, so I have to go on the word of what I can find on the internet.
    It is very frustrating that they don't list the type of digitizer on the manufacturer sites, and it takes so long to find out what the different tablets have.

Claudia

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While N-trig is getting better, it is still not what you would want to be using for digital art (for now, Wacom reigns king)

About $1000, and can purchase used/ refurbished gives you a lot of options; but you will want to make sure that [above all] you get a Tablet PC with a great screen (color accuracy, color depth, contrast, viewing angles are all extremely important; fortunately it is easy to get a bunch of different Tablet PC's with the highly regarded Hydis screens -really, the best, and very widely available screen manufacturer for Tablet PC's).

Now, you will have to make a choice in processors; either get a Tablet PC with a Core 2 Duo processor (powerful, efficient, and cool running [idle ~40C under highload ~60-70 C], as well as easily overclockable and undervoltable [this can bring the Low Voltage Core 2 Duo processors to almost match the best Full Voltage Core -i processors available in Tablet PC's, while remaining as efficient as before]), or a Core-i processor (generally slightly more powerful, not great efficiency [it runs ~2-4hrs shorter on battery], runs warm-hot [idle ~50-60 C, under high load ~80-90 C], and not usually overclockable or undervoltable)
    In general the Core 2 Duo processors are more than enough for digital art (not sure what settings you are used to drawing at, or your canvas size; any details on that?)

The models to look at are HP [2730p/ 2740p], Lenovo [X200t/ X201t], Fujitsu [T4410/ T730 & T5010/ T900] and the ASUS EP121 (Core 2 Duo / Core-i respectively; the EP121 being a Core-i Ultra Low Voltage i5 only. All of which are Wacom Pen enabled, some having touch screen options; as well as having Hydis screens as options). You can get all of these for under $1,000 regularly on ebay ( the Core 2 Duo ones going for $400-800 on average [usuaklly well spec'd out, and usually with some extras]; and the Core-i ones for $800-1200 on average)

EDIT: Krelian kinda beat me to it

6. ClaudiaP

Thank you Krelian.
    I have to admit to being a bit gun shy with HP after a really bad experience with an expensive HP desktop. I ended up having to replace one of their high end desktops after about 2 years, I did get it fixed eventually but it required a new case and motherboard after replacing hard drive and power supply 4 months earlier. It sits in the box now for emergency use as I replaced it with a Dell Studio XPS.

I am in ongoing online art classes and the HP left me hanging mid class twice.

Does the Fugitsu t730 have a Wacom digitizer too?. I would love the 580 but I'm really leery of the N-Trig.

Claudia

7. ClaudiaP

Thank you :) This really answers a lot of questions for me.

Until I found this site I thought my only choice was the ASUS EP121, which still is a consideration, but I was a bit unsure how it would handle my art programs since it is so new and there are so few hands on artist's reviews.

I actually think I like the convertibles better, but being a woman I reserve the right to change my mind. lol.

I work with watercolor brushes a lot in Painter so I'm used to working with a small canvas size and low ppi, (hopefully Painter 12 will utilize multi core processors and 64 bit OS). It is easy to work on a small file and later enlarge for printing, without losing quality in watercolors.
    For pencil drawing I usually use 300ppi and a fairly small canvas, (not over 2000 pixels), but I do use a lot of layers.

While a large hard drive would be nice it's not that big a deal since it is easy to add an external or just move the files to my desktop. I love the networking and homegroup in Windows 7. I do have a wifi network set up at home complete with wifi printer.

I really appreciate your help, like I've said I've searched and read this site for several days but just wasn't able to find a good list of the Wacom enabled tablets. You would think this would be something the manufacturers would put in their information, but they don't.

Claudia
    (who is going out to brave the storm)

8. ClaudiaP

I have two more questions about the Fijitsu t730, t4410, t5010, and t900 :)

Do both the active digitizer and dual digitizer models use Wacom digitizers?

How difficult is it to install Win 7 on the t5010?
    I ask this one because it was a nightmare to install on my Toshiba laptop, I did finally get it done and working after a clean install but after reinstalling all of the Toshiba Win 7 drivers, from the Toshiba site, I am still unable to get the card reader to work.

Thanks again,
    Claudia

9. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

Thankfully, yes they do.

No more difficult than on any other computer.
    Windows 7 actually takes care of a lot of the basic drivers automatically but Fujitsu provides them all.
    You won't be missing any functionality between what Windows 7 includes and Fujitsu provides.

10. ClaudiaP

Thank you Krelian, that is good to hear. I really would prefer to get one with Win 7 already installed but those 5010's that Fujitsu has on ebay are looking very very tempting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.