Tablet With AMD Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DRTigerlilly, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rix

Rix Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

im quite new to this forum and site, but i have learnt quite a lot visiting here. I have a couple of questions to do with tablet PCs. I really like the idea of a tablet pc, and i intend to buy one soon. But there are a few concerns i have with tablet pcs, the first is, is it possible to get an tablet PC with an AMD processor?

I havent really seen one, but i havent been searching for very long. The main reason i want to know if a tablet Pc comes with an AMD processor is that, i wish to get a laptop with a 64 bit processor. And the new turion x2 64 looks great with the power consuption and overall performance. If an AMD processor is not possible on a tablet PC, will it be possible to get an Intel core 2 duo on one?

Thanx for any replies

Rix

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

There are currently no AMD tablets on the market.
    In terms of the Core Duo Tablets on the market, the Toshiba Portege m400 is the only one availble right away.
    HP is about to release their tc4400 model on the 22nd of May, and Fujitsu (t4120) and IBM (t60) have Dual Core models that should be released soon, but no specific dates on those

Edit: I forgot that Asus has a dual core model coming out as well (RF1 their convertible model) as well as the fact that they are to be releasing some slates.

3. Rix

Rix Pen Pal - Newbie

ah right thanx,

im guessing, if an AMD tablet pc is not available right now, i doubt that there will be one out in the next couple of months. That kinda leaves me with two choices, either getting one now, or wait for a few months and see if its possible to get a the merom tablet (if it ever comes out).

Anyway, one more question, is there a core duo laptop that has dedicated graphics cards, preferably with around 128mb of memory?

Thx a lot

Rix

4. BrianFL426

BrianFL426 Pen Pal - Newbie

theres the 280-E from gateway, duocore and it has dedicated with the ati x1600? idk its about 64mb? its better than the shared but its not as good as nVidia, thats what i hear.

5. DRTigerlilly

The m280 is not a dual core tablet, the m285 is gateways dual core option & is available through thier medium & large business store

6. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

As for your Core 2 Duo, since the Merom CPUs from Intel aren't even out or in their final hardware revisions, we're not even expecting to HEAR about those till sometime late this year.

7. Rix

Rix Pen Pal - Newbie

err yeah, speaking of which, do you need anything to buy from a business store like gateways? I mean like, do you have to prove that you work in a company or anything? Ive never bought any like this from a business site so i dont know.

Rix

Edit: yeah, about merom (core 2 duo), there ment to be coming out in august arnt they? Although i doubt that any tablet will come out in the first 2-3 months, i am hopeful that there will be one before christmas hopefully.

8. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope, not at all. In fact, one of the tricks I use for ordering parts is to call these buisness sales departments, and talk them down. A conversation might go something like this:

"Hello, welcome to Toshiba! How can I help you today?"
    "Well, I'm in charge of laptop purchases here, and we need to order a new tablet. I was thinking about the m400, but it's a little expensive. Is there anyway you can give me a little more off? Like, how about free shipping?"
    "Hmm... well it's already a great deal honestly, you'd have trouble finding such a great computer for that amount of cash."
    "Well, I only have X amount of money to spend, and it'd go a long way for us if we could save that extra cash since we're already paying nearly double for a similarly speced machine without tablet functionality."
    "Well... okay, we'll do free shipping then."

Also, while you and I know that overnight shipping is HORRIBLY expensive, before you checkout if you're ordering online from their buisness site, try ordering it overnight. A couple of times, Toshiba & Dell have had free 2-day shipping deals going on, but when I tried overnight shipping, it was free too!

9. Rix

Rix Pen Pal - Newbie

ahh right, thats not a bad idea...

anyway, thanx for the reply

10. DRTigerlilly

This thread is over two years old, there have since been other AMD computers released.

The hp tx1000, tx2000, tx2500 & tx2.
    Most of what has been said still holds true, AMD based tablets run hotter than their Intel counterparts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.