Tablet... too many comprimises?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob1116, Jul 14, 2006.

1. rob1116

rob1116 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm seriously considering jumping ship :(

I am a computer aficiando of sorts, and for the first time, find myself in need of a notebook. I am starting university (sciences) in September.

I have been posting here for a few fun weeks now, because I was quite sure I wanted a tablet; more specifically, the Fujitsu T4210. Before deciding that, I was dead-set on the Dell XPS1210 : ---> Seen here <---

I knew from the beginning that getting a tablet would mean sacrificing a few things, but I was okay with that. But now, after reading Barry's mediocre review of the 4210, I am once again seriously considering the Dell 1210. The screen is way nicer, it has a rotatable 1.3mp webcam, dedicated graphics (yeah!), great battery life, cold-wifi detecter, and is about the same weight/size as the 4210.

The one and only catch of course: the Dell doesn't like it when you try and write on the screen :cool: .

The intended uses of my future notebook:

Education: Notetaking (physics, math, lots of chem and bio), lecture recording, some away-from-home homework (surfing, typing, etc), and recording a vast number of cute girl-geek's phone numbers! (with any luck, hehe)

Entertainment: I am a gamer, but that's why I have a desktop. If I have dedicated graphics, I might use them once in a while. I will be watching the very odd DVD, but that's it really.

So, basically, what I want is for you fine people to convince me that a tablet is the way to go! Will I really prefer digital ink to typing in a lecture/tutorial setting? Is it worth the comprimises?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Rob,

I can't blame you in any capacity for wanting that Dell. If you hang in there, you just might find a Tablet PC at the same size with dedicated graphics. I am very surprised that Toshiba has not offered the option in the M400. I can't help but think we will see this very soon as an option on one of the smaller tablet models soon. Since they are already going "widescreen", one would think dedicated graphics in the latest lineup of products would be important.

3. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

dell build quality really leaves something to be desired. I am pretty sure I am never going to buy another dell notebook until they start making some quality cases.

Thinkpads on the otherhand are rock solid and indestructable. If I decide to NOT get a tablet, then I would probably go for the IBM t60 notebook.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can fully understand your predicament Rob.

You have to ask yourself mate "for what reasons will I truly want to use the device for"?

Not taking anything away from Barry's excellent review, please don't forget the review is just that; a review written by an individual.
    Barry's review may have areas where he may consider vital but you may deem them not to be so.
    An example being the screen... One mans view is another mans sight.

As such, please don't take any review as cast in concrete. It is there to give guidance and understanding. You (as I also) would take the review and using it we then base it on how we see and use the tablet ourself.

So, which to go for.....
    What is vital for you Rob?
    If you really do need a larger screen then it's closed. The Dell would obviously win.
    The dedicated graphics is an issue but only if you play really intensive 3D games or raytracing.
    As to the battery... Give it a bit more time Rob.
    Over time it should improve, once it learns and settles ..but you already know and understand all this.

As to what would I consider the best medium...
    Well, I've owned dozens and used countless laptops.
    The tablet however wins it every single time... no question.

My apologies if any of this has already been checked over in your mind but sometimes someone else's thoughts make a world of difference.

Barry said it mate..... Hang on in there :)

5. rob1116

Sigh... I'm at a point right now, after many months of contemplation, where I'm literally switching camps many times a day.

Thanks for the replies; nothing concrete, but I guess I knew that no one could ever make this decision for me, lol, and at least they got me thinking about some different things.

I worded that a little poorly P8RSON... there wasn't anything startling bad in Barry's review that made me suddenly have second thoughts. I don't know what it was exactly; maybe just the realization that the notebook itself wasn't necessarily amazing (not that it isn't great), and the Dell (IMO) just might be.

Obviously, what it comes down to is this: How much is the ability to take handwritten notes on my laptop really worth to me? Sadly, this is so hard to measure when a) I've never owned a tablet, and b) I'm just starting university... so I have no experience with either.

6. rob1116

My brother's 600M is 3 years old; the fit and finish is better than the Toshiba 400M I saw the other day, and it's still in perfect condition 3 years later.

Also, the XPS1210 looks to be very well built. Hard to tell though, having never seen it in person.

7. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

Rob,

i'm now in my second degree (masters), this one is in International Business & Law but previously I did a comp sci degree. Though i've never owned a tablet, I can see it being very useful when taking notes. Particularly if you're taking a subject where you want to take down a graph, it's invaluable, so things like physics. Also, mathematical notation is a real pain in the arse to do on a computer using a keyboard...I did every single one of my maths assignments by hand on paper for this reason.

Also, as i'm ****ty at keeping my papers organised, I tend to lose a lot of my notes by the end of semester. By comparison, i'm very good at keeping things organised on my computer, so I imagine doing notes on a computer would be helpful. It is an expensive solution though, as i'm sure someone will note ;-).

The reason I'm now about on this site is i'm about to buy a new tablet...the Fujitsu T4210 (I was originally gonna go for the M400, but have changed my mind due to less crappy software being on the fujitsu when you buy it, better technical support, and they include more gear for your money here in Australia). I've only got another 6 months of uni, but I needed a new computer and I reckon this one will be fantastic for that period and beyond.

Hope that helps from a note taking perspective.

The integrated graphics thing is a bit of a bummer, but provided it will run Vista i'm reasonably happy with the idea. Note that Vista chews the batteries of these things (at least in the current beta), so i'm not even sure i'll upgrade, but I'd like to have the option ;-). As you quite rightly note, your desktop is for gaming, not your laptop ;-).

edit: I can't believe the forum auto stars the "s" word...I mean seriously!

edit2: Just thought of one more thing...it does pay to have an electronic copy of all your assignments too, for the inevitable situation where your lecturer loses one of them. Though it's never happened to me, I know a number of people who've had this problem...

8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

One of the main reasons i want a tablet is so i dont' have to carry so many notebooks around! I hate it when im at the library and I am like **** i forgot to bring so and so notebook! or im thinking HEY wouldn't it be sweet if I had this notebook here now so i could look at notes for whatever class. The whole unified electronic notebook deal is the main reason I am getting a tablet.

9. rob1116

Indeed, that is pretty much the main reason I want to get a tablet; but how can you be sure it's not going to be more hassle than it's worth?

10. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

first, picking up girls is not part of any education, and bringing around a tablet is not the best way of getting numbers.

For educational use, no question a convertible tablet is superior because you can take notes, read textbooks and papers, and do inking in powerpoint presentations.

For anything else like word processing and stuff, you might as well get a desktop because you won't be using your laptop in class. Having roomates in uni. pretty much means that any random person can get into your room, and mobile computer get stolen more easily.