Tablet to replace ereader

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Roseweave, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Roseweave

Roseweave Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?

€140

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Media tablet. Would be nice to have something to replace the functionality of my EEEPC, though.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Ireland.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not a fan of Acer, can't afford apple.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Decent since it's being used as an eReader.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Reading, surfing, watching videos on the go, maybe stuff like taking notes(I'll need a bluetooth keyboard)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

If I could get something actually compatible with Windows x86 software that'd be amazing but unlikely. I'm not a big fan of Android but it has the best support.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

eReader software, comic book reader software, youtube, videos etc.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Unsure.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

No.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

Yes, need to see through glare.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?

No, I do like to draw too so a pressure sensitive pen(or if I could use my existing Wacom Bamboo one) would be kind of neat and I may be willing to spend more for one.

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

not too bothered as long as I can expand it.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

HDMI would be nice.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Would like decent sound. Friends impressed me with the inbuilt speakers in their ipads, they were tolerable, slightly better than my Samsung's laptop speakers.

2. Roseweave

No help after I went to the effort of filling that out? :/

3. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...No help...>>

Rose: The most likely problem is your price ceiling. 140 Euros isn't very much. About the only device that I can think of that might meet that threshold is a Kindle (which, as an e-reader, isn't bad at all).

The only other alternative would be a steeply discounted used tablet...

4. Roseweave

The best device I've found is the Nook HD or Nook HD+. The Nook HD especially seems like it'd be good for use as an eReader and having a look at the similarly sized Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, it's not a bad size for general use, much easier than using my phone. It'd be nice to have something with a camera and GPS but not essential as I have my phone.

5. panzer06

panzer06 Pen Pal - Newbie

You can find discounted Samsung Galaxy Tab 2s in $150-$200 range in the states. Not sure about Europe. Though I pretty much only but iOS or Windows 8 based tablets now so not sure how the inexpensive Android device would work for all the tasks you mention.

Cheers,

Cheers,

6. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

How about a kindle fire? I think it's more affordable than Samsung tabs.

7. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Nook HD+, it's a very stable. good tablet for the price. The screen has good resolution, and battery life is also very good. For the price, a 8.9" tablet with a 1 year warranty, it's hard to beat. Very good to read with, also.

8. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

I would say that I'd be careful about switching to a tablet if you want to be able to read outside (through glare, as your post said). I recently switch to using my tablet (Nexus 7 2013) instead of an old Kindle and I still fall back to my Kindle if I'm using it in the sun. The Nexus 7 has one of the brightest screens on a 7" tablet (nearly 600 nits) and it's still very difficult to use outside. The Kindle Fire HD and Nook HD+ are ~100 nits dimmer so I imagine the experience would be even worse.

9. Roseweave

There doesn't seem to be a lot of point getting a Nexus or Galaxy Tab over the the Nook aside from not having to fiddle around with rooting it.

I'm deciding whether to get the HD or HD+ at the moment. The HD would be a bettet eReader overall but the HD+ would be better for reading comics.

10. Roseweave

I could just about scrape a Galaxy TAb, but the problem is I'm looking at the Nook HDs and the specs are barely behind the Galaxy Tab while being quite a bit cheaper.

WHere's the cheapest place to buy a Nook HD/HD+ in UK/Ireland?

11. Roseweave

just trying to decide between the HD and HD+ now

12. will567

Personally I would go HD if you want mainly an ereader, For web surfing, light gaming, etc. the HD + with the larger screen would be my choice and its also great for reading.

13. Roseweave

I kind of want both. Preference to reading books, but I want to read comics too. Can you read comics reliably on the HD+? I read some manga on my Nook which mostly went okay but a lot of manga is designed for a smaller format than western comics. Though it may be easier on the HD due to the sharper screen.

14. will567

Manga Reader works well-I like Kenichi the mightiest disciple :)