Tablet to increase studying productivity( Urgent, I can't last much longer)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by fldrice, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharaktengu

sharaktengu Scribbler - Standard Member

Really need help guys

Ok , I just moved to Japan a month ago on a 5 year scholarship that gives me money to live each month, first year I'm studying japanese , and then I move on to college after examinations.
    Right now I rly rly feel the need for a tablet, and next year in College I will need one no matter what. When learning japanese the most important thing is writing Kanji( japanese characters). Since I know what they mean but I don't know their readings I have no way of inputing them by keyboard, except of course the brutal method, look into a dictionary, which takes allot of time .

I'm looking for something I can modify , as in putting an ssd( which I will buy seperately since they're cheap here ) without voiding the warranty, Ram as well if It has under 2gigs. Need lots and lots of battery, although I am considering an external battery.
    I need it to move flawlessly with a webbrowsing and Office Onenote, Intel Atom n270 won't do the job with xp on it as I've tested. I need it to increase my productivity over my normal laptop when studying not the other way around.

Japanese website for best shop prices :

http://kakaku.com/pc/tablet-pc/

1. What is your budget?
    Cheaper the better, If It's future proof for 2 years , even 2500$, however since windows 7 is coming and multitouch is starting to scratch the surface of it's true potential, I doubt it. So better make it around 1000 since I'm planning on buying something next year or as soon as something mindbreaking comes to replace it.
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    If it does the job ofc
    3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Not rly but I lean to the keyboard side
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9" not so much
    * Compact ~ 10" not so much
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1" This the most
    * Large ~ 14" could be interesting( but I dont see a use)

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    JAPAN
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Hell no
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    5hrs high performance Minimum, the more the better
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Onenote, WEB
    9. Do you have an OS preference?
    WINDOWS 7 is awesome, RC version if free till next year July
    10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Ms Onenote, other little stuff
    10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Have my current Laptop for that.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer a standard or widescreen display?
    YES, a MUST
    2. What resolution do you prefer?
    1280x768 Minimum, Japanese characters require allot of res,

* XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    * SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. (Only resolution available in new tablets circa mid 2008)

3. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    Yes please, but can sacrifice this

4. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    Don't care
    5. Do you require Touch? (Which one: passive or capacitive)
    If it increases productivity as in I need to use my fingers for doing stuff faster yes, if not no ( hp tx2z with vista hurtz my brain)
    6. Do you require a Digitizer Pen ? (Which one: Wacom, Finepoint, or N-Trig Technology)
    Mostly yes, good quality one, but if the passive is good enough that I can rest my palm on the screen without interference than I will consider it

7. Do you require pressure sensitivity?
    If It's a digitizer than pressure is a must for me.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    Don't care since I'm gonna replace it with an SSD I buy seperately.
    2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    Nope
    3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Nope

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi sharaktengu,

I think it would be less limiting on the number of Tablet PC models by raising your budget from $1,000 (~¥99,450) to around $2,000 (~¥199,000). As for your criteria, since you will be doing kanji practice (and you need pressure sensitivity in Photoshop), I'd strongly recommend you look out a Tablet PC with a Wacom active digitizer versus getting a Tablet PC with just a passive touchscreen digitizer. This excludes the HP tx2 and Dell Latitude XT/XT2 models, which have a N-Trig active digitizer.

To fit your needs, take a look at the Fujitsu T2010/T2020 (I think Japan's models are the FMV-T8140/T8160; and the T8140 model already has an SSD standard although it's 32GB); Lenovo ThinkPad X200t; or the HP 2710p/2730p.

All these models do use ULV (ultra low voltage) or LV (low voltage) processors, and should be right up your alley for battery life. Although, I'm iffy on whether they'll last five hours at the "High Performance" power setting (at least in Vista); most of these models will typically last 5-10+ hours depending on whether it's the Balanced or Power Saver power setting (again, in Vista). The X200t does have an option for touch, but it's an extra $200 or so.

Just quick note about Windows 7 RC and its license:
    The license will expire on June 1, 2010 but beginning after March 1, 2010 every two hours it will automatically shutdown (as well as a few other features disabled) as some sort of a reminder that the license will expire soon.

3. ennui

ennui Pen Pal - Newbie

4. sharaktengu

sharaktengu Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes I have an electronic dictionary, It's allot better than nothing, but it can only help so much. With handwriting Input + internet the stuff I can do is endless, Rikaichan for example is a firefox addon that tell's you all the possible uses for a compound you scroll over ( it's dictionary is lik 5 times more usefull for me at the moment). The japanese voice (Misaki is her name) from my Texttospeach converter sounds so natural you need someone to tell you its from a tts program+ it has a firefox addon to work with it, so I can just write something on the screen and voila all the stuff I need + voice. And much much more stuff if I am using a computer.
    Besides my obvious need for studying, I am a person that can't live without my computer ( I ended up this way somehow), So having it around with me all the time with me , can be a life changer.
    However If you guys say that within a years time something new that can really satisfy my needs will come, than I can manage with something like this: http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/09/kohjinsha-sx3-review.html ( IF ONLY it had a better processor than atom)
    Its around 700 dollars here new.

5. KenK

KenK Pen Pal - Newbie

For your application, I think a Wacom Bamboo tablet would suffice. (That's a digitizing tablet, not a tablet PC.) It should cost about 8000 yen. It's small enough to carry around along with a standard laptop.

6. fldrice

fldrice Pen Pal - Newbie

Those are solid recommendations. Anyone of the above units should satisfy your needs. However, I'm rather partial to the 2730p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.