tablet tilt and portrait mode

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by DennisTT, Nov 9, 2006.

1. tabletFan

tabletFan Pen Pal - Newbie

For those who are enjoying their tablet right now with the standard or 12-cell battery option, do you take notes in landscape or portrait mode? If take notes in portrait mode, does the tilt caused by the battery affect the way you read or write? I'm thinking of taking notes primarily in portrait mode since it's closet to the orientation of paper I would normally use. From reviews, it looks like one side of the tablet is elevated about 1/2 in. Along with the 1.3" thickness of tablet itself, I'm wondering if it is somewhat cumbersome to write. Any feedback would be helpful!

Another minor point. I'm planning on taking notes for classes. The lecture halls have these ridiculously small foldable desk area for each seat. It's about 8x10". Can the laptop, along with its protruding battery, rest comfortably on such a small desk?

Thanks!

2. eros_deus1

eros_deus1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had mine about 3 months and it is a wonderful little machine. I take notes on it in two lecture classes and I really dont use the portorait mode. One of the lecture halls has those mini little tables that pop up and that just gets in the way, so i sit the laptop on my knees and it works very well.

Writing is a little wierd at first, but very easy to get use to. I've realized that if you change your sitting position, you'll have to recalbriate the pen (which isn't a big dea) because the angle you see the screen at is slightly different. I really really like this tablet, my specs are all maxed out and i have not had any of the problems other people are talking about. (noise, screen problems, etch.) I would recomend buying the m-285 instead of any csx or best buy models. (call gateway and they might reduce the price a hundered if your nice)

3. dafuse

dafuse Pen Pal - Newbie

I mostly use mine in landscape mode. To be more precise, in tablet mode, I *only* use it in secondary landscape mode. I use tablet mode in all my meetings and phone conferences, so it's usually on a table or in my lap. I also use the PC in tablet mode in my La-Z-Boy in the same fashion. I never walk around with it while writing so the weight doesn't matter to me. I have been experimenting with using primary portrait mode for a while, but that's only when it's *not* lying on a table, because I think the tilt would kinda bug me.

The thing that bugs me about portrait mode is that just cycling through the modes screws up my window placement when portrait mode is in the chain. I don't use it very often, and it annoys me when that happens, so I usually just exclude it from the cycle. I wish landscape mode had a memory od where the windows were so it could be restored when I get back to it, especially when I'm just cycling.

4. tabletFan

tabletFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply everyone.

Is there any reason why getting M-285 would be better than cx210x? I thought they were the same model, just slightly different configurations? Also, could I get education discounts if I buy through the small business area? I'm thinking of getting top of the line configuration (except 2.0ghz processor instead of 2.16) and it appears to be more expensive through M-285 than cx210x?

Also, do any of you have problems with the tablet screen wobbling/vibrating back and forth (or side to side) when you type? I checked the cx2724 model at best buy and the screen had this annoying wobble when I type.

Thanks!

5. L33tmaster

L33tmaster Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had this (CX210) laptop since the beginning of the school year. I've actually found it a bit cumbersome to take notes on my tablet since you have to take it out and switch and on and such, but since I paid $1800 for it, I'm going to have to use it until I graduate ('08!).

I got an 8-cell battery because I had heard the 12-cell portrudes from from the system making it unlevel. Well turns out the 8-cell does too... I don't know when Gateway suddenly decided to make it that way, but now I'm sad about not getting that extra hour of battery life.

I'm in college and of course everyone is familiar with those lecture hall style seats that you lift up and then fold down parallel to your lap. Well, the desk area is incredibly small so i just have the battery hang off the side of the desk so that the laptop is level. The pads on the bottom have very good friction and a great majority of the tablet's weight is still on the desk, so it won't tip over.

I can't get used to landscape, it's just so different from a piece of paper.

To answer the question about the screen wobbling while typing, yes it does, but you get used to it.

6. dextor

dextor Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Gateway CX2724. The screen does not wobble when I type. The raised angle of the laptop created by the battery is only trouble some when you're trying to put the tablet away in a backpack or bag, because it adds to the thickness. Otherwise, the slightly raised platform is really good, considering it gives you a nice angle for typing, and it allows some circulation underneath the tablet for cooling (note if the table the tablet is on is metal then it doesn't matter because metals are very good conductors, but since most desks are not metal then the raised platform is good).

7. DennisTT

DennisTT Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the CX2724 to take notes in 3 of my classes. In 2 of them I have it in "laptop-mode" (primary landscape, typing with keyboard, occasionally drawing a diagram with the pen while the screen is upright).

In the third class, I take notes in "tablet-mode" in the portrait mode where the battery is sticking out on the left side and the microphone is on the end furthest from you. This works really well because in that lecture hall the side of the "ridiculously small foldable desk" (completely agreed) closest to your body is closer to you on the right side of the desk, than the left side, so the battery makes up for the "lost distance." The tablet is then tilted so that the side closest to me rests on my lap and the side furthest is sticking up slightly into the air, supported by the desk. And I get the benefit of the microphone being "out there" instead of being next to my stomach.

Hope I made sense :p