Tablet That Can Run MS Access Program

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jcruzAME, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jcruzAME

jcruzAME Pen Pal - Newbie

Currently looking for a tablet PC that can run a program developed in Microsoft Access, as well as be able to map drives to the network with it.

They suggested Acer Iconia and Samsung Galaxy but as far as I can tell, SG is Android and the Acer only comes with Office Starter and we don't know if they have a copy of Office they can install (if it can be installed).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I, personally, don't know any tablet that comes with Office 2010 & access for free so you'd still have to pay for a licence. (Office starter being possibly free if you opt for the ad-supported version).

You can install Microsoft Office 2010 on ANY Windows XP or Windows 7 machine (within reason and spec) so it can be installed.

60 day trial:
    Try Office 2010 - Office.com
    or
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/

Be wary of eBay as (probably) most of them are illegal China products and you can instantly tell by the silver licence strip:
    How to Tell ? Software
    (Just in case you went looking for a cheap bargain).

You could always buy Access on its own...

3. jcruzAME

jcruzAME Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, then they're probably looking at the Iconia. I'm assuming that you can map a network drive since it's Windows 7. Thanks for the reply! I've been told I'm being shipped a Lenovo Tablet to test tomorrow.

If anyone else has any information, by all means reply!

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Lenovo 'Tablet' won't be windows unless it's the convertible type. The moment you mentioned 'Microsoft Access' whomever you'd spoken with shouldn't have even mentioned Android :)

If you have the appropriate permissions (Username/password) you can connect to a network (Domain share) while a Workgroup may require a little bit of faffing with account names etc so they'll match on the source. No problem.

5. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Or you just connect with different credentials. No need to match any account names.