1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Tablet That Can Run MS Access Program

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jcruzAME, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jcruzAME

jcruzAME Pen Pal - Newbie

Currently looking for a tablet PC that can run a program developed in Microsoft Access, as well as be able to map drives to the network with it.

They suggested Acer Iconia and Samsung Galaxy but as far as I can tell, SG is Android and the Acer only comes with Office Starter and we don't know if they have a copy of Office they can install (if it can be installed).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I, personally, don't know any tablet that comes with Office 2010 & access for free so you'd still have to pay for a licence. (Office starter being possibly free if you opt for the ad-supported version).

You can install Microsoft Office 2010 on ANY Windows XP or Windows 7 machine (within reason and spec) so it can be installed.

60 day trial:
    Try Office 2010 - Office.com
    or
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/

Be wary of eBay as (probably) most of them are illegal China products and you can instantly tell by the silver licence strip:
    How to Tell ? Software
    (Just in case you went looking for a cheap bargain).

You could always buy Access on its own...
  3. jcruzAME

jcruzAME Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, then they're probably looking at the Iconia. I'm assuming that you can map a network drive since it's Windows 7. Thanks for the reply! I've been told I'm being shipped a Lenovo Tablet to test tomorrow.

If anyone else has any information, by all means reply!
  4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Lenovo 'Tablet' won't be windows unless it's the convertible type. The moment you mentioned 'Microsoft Access' whomever you'd spoken with shouldn't have even mentioned Android :)

If you have the appropriate permissions (Username/password) you can connect to a network (Domain share) while a Workgroup may require a little bit of faffing with account names etc so they'll match on the source. No problem.
  5. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Or you just connect with different credentials. No need to match any account names.