Tablet that can run excel macros

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by drewolaughlin, Jan 20, 2013.

1. drewolaughlin

drewolaughlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me find the right tablet to use for a data collection survey that will be given in a refugee settlement in Africa. I need a tablet that is able to run microsoft excel with vba macros enabled. That is pretty much all the tablet will be used for. No gaming, no internet, nothing else. I am looking to purchase 3 or 4 of the same tablet. Would like to keep cost as low as possible since there is a good chance one or more of these may be lost, damaged or stolen during the course of this study.

Thanks much for your help.

1. What is your budget?

Around $500 US

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

No. Has to be purchased through approved vendor.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    •5 to7-inches
    •7.1 to 10-inches
    •10 to 13-inches
    •Above 13-inches

I think 7.1-10 inches. But open to suggestions outside this range.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

The more the better. Going to be used in setting where power is hard to find. Hoping for at least 6 hours.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Microsoft excel. Specifically running a vba userform to input data into a spreadsheet. Must have 1 usb port to transfer data to a laptop.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I think I need Windows in order to run macros in excel, but if another OS can do this I would be open to using it.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

MS Excel with macros.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

NO

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

No

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

No Expandable memory. Hard Drive just has to be big enough to hold 1 fairly large spreadsheet.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

1 Full sized USB

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Who are the approved vendors? Knowing that will allow us to give better input.

3. drewolaughlin

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

For a Business Rugged Tablet, their front page lists the HP ElitePad 900 which is a Clover Trail Atom Windows 8 Pro Slate with expanded accessories that meet your needs but is above your Price Point. They also have the ThinkPad Tablet 2 which is very similar specs as the HP for $669, again above your Price Point.

If you are willing to go one generation old the have the Acer Iconia W500 for $389 which will do what you want but I believe only get 4-5 hours of battery in real world scenarios. The have some clearance Fujitsu Q550 which are just over your $500 price point, they have models with removable batteries.

5. drewolaughlin

Great. Thanks for your help. I think I will go with the Q550 as it is close to the $500 mark and the removable battery will be a huge benefit.