Tablet Specific Software

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by DaveP, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

heatlesssun's post on N-trig's n-act multi-touch enhancements got me thinking about other tablet oriented software I've come across in the past. Note that I still haven't got my Slate so I can't say any of these will work or be useful but I thought I'd put them out there for those new to the tablet world to experiment with.

UI Enhancements:

N-trig N-act - multi-touch enhancement
    Multi-Touch - N-trig

Thinix Touch - touch oriented user interface
    Thinix - Thinix Touch?

FrontFace - touch oriented user interface
    mirabyte FrontFace for Netbooks and Tablets - mirabyte Software

Note that James Kendrick has a video review of the two interfaces at:
    Video of 2 Touch Interfaces for Windows Tablets: Mobile

StrokeIt - mouse gesture recognition - an old program that worked great on my m1300 but not as well on my OQO because the screen was so small
    StrokeIt - Mouse Gestures for Windows

Note taking (just in case you're really new to this):

OneNote:
    Microsoft OneNote 2010 - Microsoft Office

EverNote:
    Evernote for Windows | Evernote Corporation

Something Completely Different:
    This combines a bunch of categories. If you haven't seen it, take a look. It's too unstructured for me but some of you might love it.

InkSeine - possibly the software that would have gone with the Courier
    InkSeine from Microsoft Research

Miscellaneous:
    This is Microsoft's list of PowerToys for Windows XP Tablet (no guarantee that any still work for Win7 but the calculator was still working with Vista):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/tabletpc.mspx

Finally, this is a site that hosts a bunch of software for Tablet PCs:
    http://www.tabletpcpost.com/

Enjoy.

2. Britown

Britown Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still a big fan of Thinix Touch:
    Thinix Touch

Not only is the interface flexible but it has a great keyboard with three separate layouts!

3. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

Another useful utility I've found to be very useful on my Viliv X70 (same resolution as the slate 500 - 1024x600) is UMPC Scrollbar (Home - MSDN Blogs. It's great for those situations when you're in landscape mode and a pop-up dialog is displayed with the buttons off the bottom of the screen.

John

4. MrKalEl

MrKalEl Super User

I have had Tablets for years and also OneNote.. and for the life of me, I have never gotten into that software, I use it here and there... but why does it seem overly complicated....

Am I just not taking the time to learn its full potential?

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

the only program i preferred to Onenote was GoBinder, and Onenote works better, i just liked the kind of daily planner layout to it.

For onenote i just put things where they're easily accessible and i'm ready to go, not sure what you feel is complicated about it?

6. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

I think OneNote 2010 is easier to use. The ribben is much more touch friendly.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7 (Includes Blackboard game, Garden Pond game, Rebound game, Surface Collage, Surface Globe, and Lagoon multitouch screensaver): Download details: Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7

Microsoft Ink Crossword / Ink Sudoku: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/27951-ink-desktop-windows-7-a-2.html#post167628 (see http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/27951-ink-desktop-windows-7-a-3.html#post181279 for permissions fix for daily crossword)

inkRabble: http://www.tabletpcpost.com/modules...q=viewdownloaddetails&lid=57&ttitle=inKrabble

And of course, there's more here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...-wanted-know-about-tablet-pcs.html#post171260

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yup. I agree! Guess what? Agilix also made Franklin Planner for Windows based on the same layout. Franklin-Covey even made a Tablet version but it never really took off. A variation made it into PlanPlus for Outlook and that is the path I went.

PlanPlus is presently stalled at v7. I say stalled because it is not compatible with Outlook 2010. I liken that to watching your favorite team drive the football down the field and setting up for a winning touchdown and the ball ends up being intercepted in the end zone!

9. Rrbryce

Rrbryce Bob

well, I have installed acad 2011 and use it on a 27 inch hp display with the slate. not a good experience. the mouse does not move smoothly across the drawing area but it does move smoothly across the ribbon. It moves as if it is snapping to a grid even though the grid is turned off. in fact all options are turned off and still it performs unacceptably. while i like the slate for the other features, one of the biggest reasons for purchasing was to use it with autocad. everything else is really secondary, or even lower on the list of needs. because the mouse moves smoothly across the ribbon, i don't think it's a lack of horsepower. I know there are some other architects here (two from my home state- Michigan) and I hope to hear about their results and perhaps some suggestions. for now it is back to my acer aspire becauuse it performs flawlessly in autocad.

bob

10. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am going to try a seat of AutoCAD 2002LT. I am hoping an older release may be a bit less demanding on the hardware.

I will post results (If my Slate arrives soon.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.