Tablet selection help...yet another newbie

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Madcap, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You probably won't find the Fujitsu in retail unless you're in NYC or live near a Fry's. The T4000 does have an optical drive that can be replaced by a second battery if you like.

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

see I wish toshiba had that option. would have been nice sometimes. meh who am I kidding I need an optical drive.

3. stevens

stevens Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info, especially the tip about Fry's. I live reasonably close to one. Will be worth my while to make the trip there.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can call Fry's to check inventory, even if they are busy, they will take a message and call you back!

5. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Stevens, you can get the IBM X41 in sizes up to 100GB. But I wouldn't worry about HD size. It's always cheaper to just configure your system w/ the lowest HD option and then upgrade later for cheaper. Same goes for RAM.

The X41 uses 2.5" PATA drives, this is a standard. Wouldn't be hard to upgrade it yourself.

Screen size. It's all a compromise. You can't get the lighter weight tablets w/ 14" screens atm. Those models are all 5 pounds and up. If you want a <3 pound machine you will be forced to look at a tablet with a 12.1" screen or smaller and lacking an internal DVD drive.

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

Fraid not. The IBM uses a 1.8" drive, fastest currently available is 4200 RPM, not certain about the largest capacity, but I think it is 60G. Barry points this out in his review about half way down when doing performance checks. Unfortunately, 1.8" drives are not readily available at this time.

See Barry's review at: TabletPCReviewSpot X41T Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

oh well. guess the easy upgrade option isn't available. It's a shame. The X41 seemed so promising, but the 1.8" drive kinda kills it for me. Guess it's the rest of IBM's product line that uses the pata's that I saw at their website.

8. Brian

I do hope we see 1.8's with more speed as they're gaining popularity in the ultra portable class. Even 5400 RPM is probably enough for mainstream adoption.

9. stevens

stevens Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, I've decided to get a fujitsu, fully loaded. Two questions:

1) any problem with buying expansion RAM from Crucial or Kingston, rather than the manufacturer? My plan is to only buy one 256 MB module, then pull it and use two 1GB modules from the third party vendor.

2) I notice that Fujitsu offers screen protectors, 2 different types, as options with the original purchase. Are these necessary? Best to buy them separately, and if so, what kind?

Thanks again for all the great feedback. BTW, in Northern California at least, this product is not on display at Frys as I hoped it might be.

10. Brian

1) Do it yourself and save a bunch.

2) This is personal, I don't liek them but several others swear by them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.