Tablet Security Lost/Stolen Tablet Android to win8.1

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mgerbasio, Apr 9, 2014.

1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I decided to try the Asus VivoTab, coming from Android (Nexus tablets). I'm getting the hang of Win8.1 and now I'm looking at security features.

With Android and ios, you can remotely lock the tablet, locate the tablet, have the tablet factory reset after a preset number of password attempts, etc. I don't see any of these features on Win8.1.

I asked on the Microsoft site, only one response, the password factory reset can be set using group policy settings. Searched the net and it seems this isn't available with standard Win8.1, you need the pro version. Are there any programs or MS tools to simply prevent someone from taking my tablet and getting access to the data?

The only thing I see in the windows store is lojack, but it has a low rating and I'm not sure it can factory reset the tablet after 5 failed login attempts. The $15/yr isn't unreasonable, but the built-in security of Android and ios are certainly better.

I like what MS has been doing since Ballmer left, but this paying extra for basic features like secpol.msc is really what turned me to look elsewhere in the first place. I've forgotten how this feels.

No, I don't have these features on my windows notebook, but I haven't been carrying a notebook nearly as much the last couple of years as i've been using ipads and android tablets. Its a lot easier to lose a tablet or have it stolen than a notebook. Security on a tablet is much more important to me.

2. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just encrypt your tablet with BitLocker. It comes with 8.1 free with tablets (otherwise only with Pro).

That, as well as setting a pasword and your tablet will be secure even if it gets stolen. The info on it would only be accessable with the BitLocker key.

3. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

what benny90 said. My AVN8 had BitLocker enabled by default, so I'd assume yours is already encrypted as well.
    Of course, like Wikipedia says, it's no 100% security, but it's reasonably secure assuming you are no high profile target and the finder or average thief not being an IT crack with the necessary resources and motivation to pull off a stunt like finding the encryption key in the device's memory itself. So I wouldn't worry about the lack of remote wipe of your data.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Bitlocker will not encrypt your SD card unless you upgrade the M80TA to W8.1 Pro.

5. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It does. Insert the card and turn bitlocker on and it gets encrypted, screwed up one of my cards after I sold the tablet and couldn't find the key.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Then I must be doing something wrong. Main drive is encrypted but SD card is not.

Bitlocker.jpg

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not sure why. I make sure to turn it off now so I dont lose another card.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

8. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

Good point on the sd card Bronsky. According to some sources on the interwebz Windows 8 non-Pro and Windows RT aren't capable of encrypting drives (except the main one) but only decrypt.

This post provides a possible work-around though: How to encrypt SD card on Windows RT - Microsoft Community
    It suggests to encrypt the sd card on an external PC, then mount it on the tablet and set it to "trust the connected PC". I just started encryption of my sd card on my notebook, it's awfully slow though, so it might take a while until I can comment on whether it works as advertised or not.

Edit: in the Control Panel page "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on my W8 Pro notebook, I get the option "Turn on auto-unlock" for the sd card. So there is that.

Edit 2: Yup, works like a charm. When the Metro styled popup of the encrypted harddrive pops up in the upper right corner, click on "more options" and check the option "Automatically unlock on this device". Due to some reasons though, Microsoft did not add this option to the control panel like in the Windows 8 Pro version.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  9. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Could still use some help if you don't mind.

I have a Surface Pro 2 and use bitlocker; when I activated it, I received a recovery key. On the AVT8, when I received the device (new from Amazon), I searched for bitlocker and it brought me to a screen PC Info. At the bottom there is Device Encryption and it shows "Device encryption is on" right out of the box.

Is this bitlocker? If so, where is the recovery key? With my SP2, I was asked to print it and it was also uploaded to my OneDrive account. I don't see anything for the AVT8.

I know there is software available to bypass or crack the Windows password. Does encryption protect against this?

10. markjeff

markjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there, it is always very helpful (according to my experience) to encrypt and password protect your folders with a user friendly and reliable data security software. By doing so you can block any unwanted or unauthorized third party access to your sensitive files and folders.